Chapter seven: Night Under the Stars

Chapter Seven: A Night Under the Stars

"I think the best friendships are those that can stand the test of time, where the relationship is based more on who you are, than what you do or what you have." - Steve Pavlina

They walked on for what felt nothing short of forever. The sun had finally began to set, a cold, foggy path lying In front of them. Eight hours straight of walking, and Sakura's feet ached. The arrogant Uchiha lead the group through a forest, insisting that they stay off all main roads, to avoid attracting attention. Though the Rosette couldn't help but feel Sasuke had gotten them lost, without a village in earshot or sight. Not to mention they had no map to even get a configuration of where they were!! "Lets take a break.." The leader finally mumbled.

"Oh thank god!!" Sakura nearly shouted, dropping like a rock. Sasuke was sitting on a log, observing all surroundings. Jugo, surprisingly, took a seat nearby the two. Suigetsu looking exhausted exclaimed "Sasuke!!! I'mmmm thirssstyy!!!" The raven closed his eyes and inhaled a deep breath, trying to withhold everything he had inside him from lashing out. "Then go find some." Now that she recalled, Uchiha had always been easily irritated. Though one might think being on the same team with Naruto would earn you some patience over time. "But how long is this break gonna last??" All eyes turned to meet his onyx orbs. Reluctantly; Sasuke finally said "okay. We'll set up camp here. Suigetsu, go find a stream and get water. Jugo, go with and find firewood." Following orders, both traveling companions happily set out alone.

Who even made Sasuke a leader? These two follow orders from him.. Sakura couldn't imagine out why. Both Jugo and Suigetsu were bigger than him. The orange haired one towered over the all of them; but he is a sweetheart. Quiet, collective, and friendly. The white haired one wasn't as quiet, or quiet at all. He always had to put in his comment. "Sakura, grab my bag." He motioned at a nearby duffel bag, that Jugo had carried. Sakura reached down, picked it up, and slung it toward him; which Sasuke had caught with both hands. The pinkette giggled a little as her one hand sprung out when his moved. Maybe that was just it. Sasuke Uchiha's words came out so smooth, you wouldn't even consider it an order. Looking at the situation now, Sakura realized just how stupid this whole mission would be, looking for a phantom to fight.

Sasuke glanced at the giggling girl and something overcame him. Maybe he was just really exhausted, or maybe it was the simplicity of her happiness. Something though.. Something lit a torch in his frozen heart, and he cracked a grin. Not his usual little humorous half smile, but a full out grin-- if only for a few seconds. Though the cherry blossom's laugh was short lived, as soon as Onyx met Jade. Sakura gazed into those onyx eyes looking for a trace of humanity, as he wondered where the sparkling glint that shined for him alone had gone when they were children. The run away ninja then cleared his throat. "I needed my sleeping bag from inside.." He explained, going through the contents inside the luggage Sakura threw at him in the first place. Why did he feel an explanation was even necessary? He hadn't needed to Justify to anyone what he had been Doing.

It hadn't even been ten minutes when the sky got tremendously darker, and the temperature was rapidly decreasing. 'Where are those idiots?' Sasuke had thought to himself. "I-I'm cold..." Sakura said, holding herself looking up at the stars. "As soon as Suigetsu and Jugo come back, I'll start a fire." The kunoichi didn't say anything after that, she was shaking, wondering if it had been possible that freezing point would arrive in the dead of night. The girl had been mesmerized by the night sky.

"Here." Said the raven. When Sakura snapped out of a staring trance, but was truly shocked by the next sight she had saw. "S..Sasuke..." He hadn't bothered to look at her, nor answer to the calling of his name. In fact, his had was facing the completely opposite direction, but the white sleeved shirt held in the rosette's direction spoke loud enough. She took it hesitantly, but as soon as in hand, put it on happily. Though the strong familiar scent illumating from its' material had brought back precious memories, the pinkette looked back to the sky.

"Aren't they so pretty.." She whispered in awe, taking in the beauty of nature. "Hn." Sasuke never had the time to gaze at the sky, or observe this overlooked beauty. He had always been too busy, on his quest to find Itachi.. And he did just that... " In the end, those who tasted revenge were not satisfied, it ended in tragedy. You'll only hurt and suffer more. Even if you are successful in your revenge, all you'll be left with is emptiness." Kakashi sensei's words echoed in his tormented mind. Maybe he should have heeded his teachers words. Up until just a few days ago, those words were completely true.. But this time, he felt different. Some of that emptiness had been filled, and he felt., warmer in a sense. Not necessarily temperature-wise, that would be ridiculous. On the inside...

"I once heard the stars were all of our past relatives and friends, looking over us after they've passed..." Now Sasuke was observing the sky more carefully, interested by the childish idea of what Sakura had just suggested. But this only chilled his previously melting heart. "I suppose a lot of stars shine for me than." He sneered, bitter at the memory. 'Left with emptiness Kakashi-sensei.. Of course... Because I nothing or no one left... It was the inevitable...' There Sakura was, smiling again, like she had something to say. This redirected his attention. "What?" He asked. "Nothing.. Just look at those up there.." She said. Sasuke looked up, and of all the dull light stars lied three, three that shone brighter than the rest. Three that lit the sky more than the rest, three that flickered like a candle light. "Those are your stars.." She explained, before falling into silence.

"We should probably go looking for those two... It's been well over half an hour.." But then, from the distance shouted, "Hey princess, ya worrying about me!!" Sakura shot the direction a glance to see them, only to think 'speak of the devils, there they are.' But Suigetsu continued on, "Jugo got a lil' scrape while we were out and about. Think ya can patch him up?" "Hai." She said, standing to meet the boys half way, Sasuke caught off guard when forced to follow.

Suigetsu grinned like Cheshire when he had realized it was none other than Sasuke's shirt that had been draped over the rosettes petite figure. "Oh my.. What have you done?!?" Sakura said worryingly to Jugo, who still held a stack of wood, his forearm covered in blood, rather deep gashes going straight down the arm. "I had tripped and it happened on a rocky terrain by the stream..." Sakura stared a moment, with her mouth bunched to the side in deep thought. "Well... Sit those down and let's get you fixed up.." Jugo complied and placed the wood down, when Sakura got a whole view of the wound. "Gosh.." She said, "Suigetsu, go grab my bag.. I have wound wash and some gauze in there.." Those purple eyes blinked a few times before disappearing, and returning seconds later.

After Sakura had cleaned, healed, and wrapped Jugo's wound, Sasuke had started a fire. Not only had Suietsu found and brought water back, he had even managed to catch some fish. Now they were all sitting around, three sleeping bags lain out , since Sakura hadn't had one of her own. But that night when sleep crept, Sasuke had no problem falling asleep, Sakura under the same blanket, only inches away.

Everyone laid down with their eyes closed, in silence, with a sudden eerie feeling covering them as if a blanket. No one said a word the rest of that night .. In fact, it was only Sasuke who had fallen asleep soon after everyone had even lied down. The other three stayed up at least another hour, which was quite unusual.

That night Sasuke even dreamt of his family. Not the massacre as he always did,not a nightmare.. No, this time he had dreamt of coming home to find his father in the back, training. His beautiful mother, cooking in the kitchen, thrilled to see boy as she always had when he came home. Sasuke even ran down the hallway, where he met Itachi, who poked him with two fingers and grinned at the young boy. Sweet memories he relived for the first time.. Back when life was peaceful, and without problems, before everything happened. When he still had those people... A wonderful dream he dreamt, under the stars.