Chapter Nine: Fears and Insecurities

"Sometimes, people can go missing right before our very eyes. Sometimes, people can discover you, even though they've been looking at you the entire time. Sometimes, we lose sight of ourselves when we're not paying enough attention."

― Cecelia Ahern

He woke up sweating, gasping for air in a panic. The man clutched his chest, and looked around the pitch black of a motel room. "N-Naruto... Are you okay..?" Asked a meek voice across the room. Akamaru whimpered and looked at Naruto's fearful deep puddles of water for eyes. The blonde ninja was still catching his breath.

The group had gotten a room together.. They were taking shifts so someone was always awake in case of an attack... Villagers around here don't take well to Konohas' ninja's in this part of the fire country, it was only a precaution. If it was Hinata's shift, it was probably three or four in the morning. "I'm fine Hinata-chan.. I just had a nightmare.." It had been true. One that had unexpectedly crept up on him.. One so treacherous it made his head spin.

Dark. So so dark.. The Uzumaki stood on water.. But he hadn't seen anything-- except a faint glow. Water ripples radiated from that direction, as if something over than himself was on the surface. "Is some body here??" He called out, eyes fixed on the source of light, as a young figure was outlined

. The more Naruto's eyes focused on the figure, he recognized the figure that was walking away-- a figure in a blue shirt, white shorts, and an Uchiha crescent..

The want-to-be next Hokage should have known better.. That was Sasuke. Sasuke was older now, and hasn't worn that outfit since he left-- but that's how the avenger looked when he left.. Naruto reluctantly ran after him anyways. "Sasuke!!!!" He called out to the boy, in a full out sprint. Though the faster he ran, the slow paced old friend only got further away, never once looking back. Tears played on the blondes' waterlines, as a new figure appeared beside Sasuke out of thin air, and all color drained from Naruto's face. "SAKURA!!!!!"

She had been older than the twelve-year-old boy beside her, but only an inch taller. The same as he'd seen her last.. 'Wake up.. Wake up...' He whispered to himself, straining to run harder. The two members of team seven held hands, both backs at their best friend who was direly trying to catch up. When he saw something that chilled the blood in his veins.

Naruto looked down to find the watery ground stretched so deep, they had to have been on an ocean, because there was no visible end. He looked back to the two, only to find Sakura half underwater, skin almost blue. She held onto the young Uchiha's hand, panic obvious in her expression. The blue eyed jinchuuriki now crying harshly. "Their so close... But their so far away..." He said with pain in tone, coming from the deepest depths of his spirit. That's when his best friend-- his rival did it. He looked right at Naruto, face covered in the curse marks progressing across his body, one eye yellow, and he grinned. He grinned right at Naruto, before letting go of Sakura's hand.

The freezing water had soon turned to a thin layer of ice; and despite all his efforts of attempting to break it, all he could do was watch. He had to watch Sakura's body turn grey, eyes closed and sink. Though she hadn't sink into the oceans nothingness alone, because her hand held onto the person beside her now... And that person was none other than Jiraiya... The sobbing ninja returned his eyes to where Sasuke stood only minutes before, he he was all alone.. Alone just like he had been as a child. Naruto Uzumaki use to have people he held dear; but not anymore. Because he couldn't save those people, those few people that truly loved him. And he knew after awakening that he could never forget this nightmare. It preyed on his worst fears and insecurities. Those fears that he'd never bring Sasuke back, that he couldn't always save his friends, and he would be helpless when needed the most..

"D-do you want to talk about it N-Naruto...?" Asked the lavender eyed beauty. "No Hinata-chan.. I'll go ahead and start my shift.. I won't be able to pass back out." And with that, Naruto vowed no matter what, he'll find Sakura. He sighed "tomorrow we'll make it to village of lightning.."

X X X X X X

Day 7 and we were making excellent time--if The Uchiha really knew where we were going. The blossom couldn't believe it, but what else had she expected. Sasuke Uchiha was a stubborn man, and if he said they were going to cut a month and a half journey into three weeks then by god; they'd arrive in two. Not to mention Suigetsu and Jugo-- especially Jugo, were two work horses. Those two were just fine without sleeping or taking breaks. They've stopped only to eat in the past three days. Well, and to fit in 2 1/2 hour naps here and there, and it was taking a toll on Sakura's body. She had probably lost ten pounds, and didn't exactly have ten pounds to lose.

Sasuke and Sakura had encountered two more rogue ninjas, each a little stronger than the last. On the bright side, it hadn't rained all day. "Sasuke..." She said, looking at the Raven. He turned his head to face her, an eyebrow raised puzzlingly. "Lets find a town... I'm hungry, it's cold, and honestly, I'm real fucking tired of sleeping on the ground." Said the rosette, staring at Sasuke defiantly, both hands on her hips.

The avenger looked at Suigetsu and Jugo, searching for their input on the subject. Both boys looked innocently, when the sharp toothed white haired one spoke up. "We have been working really hard..." The Uchiha scowled in defeat. "One night. Just one." Sakura Haruno was so overjoyed she through both arms around her alley and pulled him into a tight happy hug. Sasuke's eyes were wide, full of surprise as he hadn't returned the affection due to shock. She cleared her throat. "Sorry..." And then let go, and an awkward silence filled the air. "I think I know where we are... Not too far from the lightning village..." Said Jugo. Oh, how there was more encounters to come..