The Time Stone

⏳ --

⏳ --

Blood red light filtered down into the small corridor as I climbed the steps to the Tower's peak

I wasn't afraid to admit that I was scared. I was terrified. My whole world was caving in on me; it was crushing me, making me struggle to breathe. I was walking into a situation where my life was possibly going to come to an end. Although I was ready to accept whatever fate awaited me, a small part of me wanted to live; wanted to live for my friends, for Steve, for the Chronos. But if stopping Eon meant my death, then so be it.

I stepped onto the last step. A cool and ominous wind blew. Silence engulfed the atmosphere. Crumbled pillars stood scattered around, holding up nothing but air. The Tower's peak was flat with no protective railing around; one misstep and you were going to be a nice-looking pancake upon impact with the ground below.

Ahead of me stood a pedestal. And there it was, glowing green and swirling with power. The Time Stone. Just sitting there, waiting for someone to take it and hold it and use its power for whatever purposes they desired – good or evil.

"He is coming." I whipped around. My dark version stood before me and by her side was none other than the traitor himself: Chameleon. "He is coming for the Stone, and there's nothing you can do about it."

I glared at them both, slowly backing away, warily taking in my surroundings and forming a plan in my head. They began to advance towards me just as slowly.

I turned my attention to Chameleon. He looked uncomfortable. He looked gaunt and exhausted, so unlike what he looked like the last time I saw him. And in his back pocket was a coveted item: the last Shard.

"Give me the Shard, Chameleon," I said, a hand outstretched. "You don't know what you're doing allying yourself with Eon."

"He knows exactly what he's doing," my dark self spat back. "And so are many who march with Eon. We want equality. We want freedom. The reign of the Lord and Lady is over. Their tyrannical shadow will disappear as Eon rises."

I squinted. "What has he ever done for you?"

"He has given me life. You know what happens when one becomes a Time Walker. The rest of us in the scatter of timelines are wiped out. Eon saved me."