"What is it?"

He opened his arms and stepped forward. "Hug me!"

I frowned. "Um... Why?"

He grinned. "You'll see. Or smell is more like it."

I hesitantly stepped forward but he grabbed me and squeezed. Then I smelt it.

To be honest, I'd never noticed John's scent before. Like ever. But as it circled around my head I started to wonder how I could miss it? It was cinnamon and apple. It was impossible to say it was unattractive but it didn't appeal to me as much as Michael's scent.

John pulled away with a grin and all I could smell was him. Even when he stepped to my car and got in that was all I could smell. Well, guess I don't smell of work and sweat anymore!

I got in the passenger side and said, "Thanks for the warning. I better not attract any willing humans ready to have the life sucked out of them."

He burst out into a roar of laughter as he switched the car on. "You won't, I'm sure of it."

John wouldn't stop playing with the music as we drove around town. I had to scold him twice before he broke the radio. I already had to get the car fixed once from a vampire encounter I didn't want a second time.

We stopped outside a bar called Yates that looked nice and calm and stepped out.

The person standing beside the wall near the door shouldn't have surprised me. But for some reason, I still found myself saying, "Why are you here?"

Sam grinned. "Nice to see you too, Evie."

John chuckled. "I assume Kate sent you?"

"Actually no, my grandmother did. She said to keep an eye on this one," He nudged me. "She might be up to no good tonight, who knows." And then he flicked my nose.

We walked into the bar together and damn was I wrong about it being calm. There were men and women filling the tables and seats at the bar. The noise was quite loud but the smell of alcohol overpowered my senses.

John wandered off and Sam kept his hand on my wrist as we moved in and out of the crowd. I looked down at his hand and saw the thin gloves stopping him from touching me. Sam led us to the bar and asked what I wanted. "I don't mind."

"Let's go with something simple then. A Smirn Off Ice will do. We don't want her drunk and out of control do we?" He smiled at the female server. "And I'll just have a Labatt Blue please."

She grinned back and walked off to get the drinks. "Where did John go?" I asked.

"Get a table knowing him."

The woman came back with our drinks and Sam paid. Sam led me through the crowd and stopped at a booth in a corner where John was lazily laying down on one side. I slid in opposite and Sam sat beside me. "So, tell me why you're here today, Evie?"

"John felt like I needed a drink." I said as I took a small sip of my drink.

"She did!" John said as he swung around and leaned forward. "Look at her. She looks so uptight! An elastic band is looser than you."

"Someone's not..." Sam half mumbled as he took a gulp of his beer. 

I narrowed my eyes at him. "What did you say?"

John leaned forward with a smirk. "He said someone's not getting any."

My nose flared. "That is neither of your business. And John just because you know it doesn't mean you have to throw it in my face every few seconds."