Chapter 10| A Night Stroll

We dashed down the front yard, careful to keep to the shadows. The crushing sound of grass against our feet following our movements until we made in to the asphalted road.

Once we had distanced ourselves from the house I let out a deep sigh of relief, thankful we hadn't been caught.

     As my pace slowed I gazed around to my surroundings. Surprisingly, the neighborhood was quiet and no activity was on the road. It looked practically deserted, only a few parked cars on the side.

      Even though the sun has set hours ago, I could feel moisture collecting across my forehead and chest. Mosquitoes carelessly crept toward my body, penetrating my vulnerable skin. I wished I had worn a sleeved shirt, no matter the blistering heat.

     Scratching at my now irritated skin, I glanced at Dillon, who walked beside me. From the slight skip in her step it seemed the heat nor the insects bothered her.

     "Do you do this often?" I asked which quickly caught Dillon's attention from her mused state.

      "Do what?" She asked.

     "Climb down the side of your house and wander the streets?" I asked while I grinned slightly.

     "Actually, yes," Dillon admitted.

The silvery of her voice waned my anxious and apprehensive state. "Why?"

Dillon let out a heavy sigh. "It's calming."

"You call sneaking out of a house calming?" I asked sarcastically.

Dillon immediately laughed, sending the previous awkward tension to a light one. "No, that part's kind of thrilling. Reckless as it may be it's like," she spread her hands across her chest, gesturing to the air, "filling your entire body with total excitement and slight fright. You fear the consequence, but you do it anyways and when you finish you crave to feel something that strong again."

"I find that terrifying," I stated after a moment of thought.

"I find it intoxicating," she replied.

Once Dillon had said that I knew what was really intoxicating was her. Without her I wouldn't have dared done something this reckless, for whatever ridiculous reason I was following her like a sick puppy dog and she held tightly to my leash.

"What's the calming part?" I asked after a few minutes.

"The silence," she replied meekly, her gaze softened as she stared out at the nothingness. "I can just relax and think to myself."

"Think about what?"

"Nothing in particular," she responded with a shrug.

We drew back to silence which was comforting than the first. Dillon was right about one thing, it was calming. I felt at ease as we trotted down the payment. Though it was night the ground was visible by the illuminating starlight and streetlight. Tonight was quite beautiful, besides the pestering bugs, the heat I would learn to deal with.

As we continued our journey I realized the change in scenery. We had now reached a popular street as cars zoomed by, a breeze flickering my mussed hair.

"Where are we going anyway?" Curiosity scratching at my throat.

Dillon turned to me and placed a finger to her lips. "That's a secret."

"Should I be worried?" I asked.

Her face crunched slightly in thought. "No, no, I don't think so," she replied.

"Wow, you're very reassuring," I said.

"That's what I'm here for," she replied.

"I thought you were here to relax?" I questioned her.

Dillon laughed. "That too."

      Of course it seemed Dillon had an answer for everything. While I was curious where our brief journey would lead us, I was more curious about her. I was determined to find out the truth of our past and fixed our broken bond. Dillon was worth the sneaking out, the secrecy, and the mischievous.