Chapter Seven

In Which the Heroine Miraculously Escapes

Jayda stared at Tristan's retreating form. She was very irritated. This had not been what she'd had in mind when she'd decided to come here. Then again...this was supposed to happen, wasn't it? But if the movies were right, she'd escape anyway.

"Hey, can you let me out?" Jayda asked, pressing herself up against the bars. The henchman glanced sideways at her, his expression guilty.

"I can't. He's coming back."

"Ugh," She groaned, banging her head on the bars in front of her. "Fine. Is he gonna monologue? I've heard that's very common for villains."

"Yes. It's supposed to help you better understand his motives." The man glanced over his shoulder, where a great lot of muttering and banging could be heard. A moment later, Tristan walked back into the room. Jayda stared at him. He was actually fairly short for a guy, with short, greasy black hair and a greasy face. To be honest, she found him a little gross. In his left hand, he carried a stack of what looked like cue cards.

"Sir, what are those cue cards for?" The henchman, whom Tristan claimed was named Pete, asked, glowering at the tiny pieces of paper.

"Well, originally you plotted out my monologue, correct?"

"Well...yes."

"So, I took notes, and then I lost the notes. So, I made up my own new monologue. Sit back and relax, this is gonna be good!"

"Is it too late to leave?" The man asked, taking a step away from the cell. However, before he could get any farther, Jayda grabbed his jacket.

"Don't you dare leave me!" She yelled, clinging tightly to the black fabric.

He sighed. "Fine."

She breathed her own sigh, though hers was one of relief, as he sat down with his back against the bars.

Tristan cleared his throat and began. "But that's a story for another day. I began my journey for- wait. Pete, did you touch my cards?!"

"My name," The henchman growled, "Is not Pete! And why would I touch your cards? I didn't even know you had any!"

"Okay then...you! Hero! Did you touch my cards?" He seemed absolutely positive that the clearly out-of-order cue cards had nothing to do with him.

"I have a name too, you know," Jayda grumbled. "And I'm pretty sure you know what it is!"

"What is it with you people and demanding I know your names?!"

"I'm your cousin," The henchman replied in a frustrated tone of voice.

"And I'm your nemesis, I'm important!" Jayda shouted.

"Well, technically, you're not at this point," The man pointed out. "This moment is supposed to be all about the villain."

"Thank you. Now, back to me back story!"

"You're not Irish," The henchman grumbled.

"How would you know? You haven't heard my back story yet!"

"I'm sorry," Mrs. Luka piped up. "That was my fault, it was a typo."

Tristan stared at her in disbelief. "Who are you? What are you doing in my lair?"

"I'm your grandmother, dear," The old woman replied with a smile.

Jayda raised her eyebrows incredulously. "You didn't seriously...forget...right? We literally just covered this."