Sara put her arm around my shoulder.

“Things are going to be okay,” Sara comforted, I tried to force a smile but I just couldn’t. It felt as though someone had stolen the ability to smile from me and replaced it with a full bag of nervous feelings and worry instead.

It felt as if we were sat in the waiting room for hours before a voice announced my name.

Sapphire Johnson, please report to Room A where Dr Hillsburgh is waiting for you. That’s Sapphire Johnson to Room A, thank you.” It echoed.

I gulped and my stomach felt as though someone had just set free a million butterflies free inside of me, all I could feel was my stomach turning on itself and a sudden rush of fear; but there was no turning back now, I had to find out what was going on with my body, I needed to know if there was a baby at all or if this was all just one big scare. I hoped it was all just a scare so I could go back to my day to day life as if none of this had ever happened.

“Come on, Saph,” Sara groaned, climbing out of the chair and offering her hand out to pull me up. I got up out of the chair and Sara could see that I was shaking; she shook her head and hugged me quickly. “You’re going to be fine, this will all be okay,” she whispered in my ear. I nodded. I hoped so.

Tears began to sting in my eyes; I blinked a few times to stop them from rolling down my cheek which would have spread mascara across my face in the process.

“Yeah you're probably right,” I sighed.

“Now come on,” she pressed on, holding my hand and dragging me to Room A, the room that I was all of a sudden dreading.

We walked out of the waiting room and into one of the many corridors, we searched for Room A. The doctor’s surgery was like one big maze full of rooms and corridors; we finally found Room A. Sara knocked on the door.

“Come in,” I heard a voice call; I gulped and felt my stomach flip. Sara opened the door to reveal Dr Hillsburgh, she got out of her chair to greet me and her friendly smile was plastered across her face.

“I-I’ve brought Sara with me, f-for support,” I stuttered nervously.

“Okay then, Sapphire,” Dr Hillsburgh replied, she pulled two chairs from the corner of the room and placed them in front of the desk facing her chair and then signalled for us to take a seat. Sara sat down and I shortly followed, Dr Hillsburgh returned to her chair behind the big pine desk and folded her arms, resting on it. “What can I help you with today then, Sapphire?”

“Well, last night I went out with some friends,” I started. “And we all got…very drunk,”

“Right,” Dr Hillsburgh said.

Before going any further with my story I remembered that Sara was in the room with me, I had to carry on with my backup story that I had told her.

“Well, all of my friends went off. Some of them went onto the dance floor and one went home,” I continued.

“Okay, and then what?” she asked.

“I carried on drinking at the bar when I saw an old friend of mine. We got onto talking and carried on drinking together…we were both very drunk and all I can remember is getting my coat and leaving with him. I woke up this morning in his bed, next to him naked. He told me that we had unprotected sex and I’m scared that I might be pregnant,” I sighed, I always worried about what doctor’s thought of their patients when they tell them what is wrong. I always worried that they secretly judged you and labelled you as well as looking down their noses at you but hid this judgement, especially with stories like this one. I bet Dr Hillsburgh had lost all respect for me now and was thinking that I’m a right slut.