((Chapter Seis: A Swing and A Miss))

*Ian*

Holy smokes that was intense. I can't believe I actually did that! I was twirling her honey blonde hair between my fingers, for crying out loud! I was so close to kissing her, argh! If I hadn't pulled away for about three more seconds, that definitely would have happened. I'm sure of it. I wouldn't even have been able to control it, that urge was so overpowering! Oh, buddy, then when she brushed my hair out of my eyes, or when she ran her hands up my chest! I was freaking out inside, and I'm sure I let a little of it show. I mean, our faces were almost touching! And then she whispers in my ear, gosh my heart's still pounding. Now I'm way more than excited to be her project partner, especially when she said that part about her house being empty or whatever. Wait, no, I'm not excited. I can't be! Have you looked at her? Ok, now look at me. This cannot be happening! We're complete opposites! Ok, sure she's hilarious, has great taste in music, super nice, exceptionally gorgeous, and is so cool without even trying to be, but I cannot be falling for her. That'd just make me another name in her book of 'A Swing and A Miss". I cannot be like all the others. I'm a nonconformist, right? Right. Oh geez I can't even not think about her. All the time, even! I don't know how I'll handle this 'going to her house with her and no one else like a date every night for a whole week' thing. It'll be tough. Gosh I still can't believe I actually did that. Maybe some boring government lectures will get my mind off this girl.  

"Mom! Hey I have to go to this girl's house it's no big deal really it's not even like a date or anything just a school project and oh yeah it'll be for a week and her parents are never home so I'm going to work on homework and listen to music so yeah don't bother coming and asking me about it and I'm leaving at about 4:45 so yeah I might be home for dinner but I don't know ok bye!" I run to my room as soon as I get home, but I have to stop right outside my door to finish my ramble. I slam the door and crank up my stereo. Halestorm is jamming and riffing and doing everything else they do.  

About an hour and some completed homework later, I grab my bag and head to my car. My baby, a silver Corvette, 1979. Bought it with my own money for my sixteenth birthday, my parents insisted they buy a different car, a newer one, but no. I wanted that Vette soooo badly. Five minutes later, I pull up to Annabel's house and, whoa. Talk about a monsterous house, even bigger than mine! I wandered up the long walk, only stopping at the huge wooden door, what do I do know? There's a doorbell, or this majestic looking knocker, or there's the classic, just knock on the door. Before I could decide on any of those, the front door swings open, to a flustered looking Annabel.  

"Hey, um, people usually don't know what to do with the door, and I saw your car..." She looks past me to my pride and joy. "Wow." Whispering, she slowly approaches it and looks back at me, for my approval. I smile as I nod, and she grins back at me. I watch her as she gets closer to my car, she runs her fingertips along the side of the door, but then she suddenly clicks and turns around. "I'm sorry, we should get to work. My parents are out to eat and a movie, so they'll be back late. Are you staying for dinner? I could order pizza if you want." We're walking through her foyer, and end up in her enormous living room. Construction paper, scissors, glue, markers, every craft supply you can imagine, on her coffee table. Our topic: DNA structure in different animals. It's just as much an art project as it is science.  

"So, let's get started?" Annabel looks at me, and I realize I haven't talked yet.  

"Um, sure, of course." She smiles, and I can't help it, it's contagious.  

Two hours later, we have a ton of research done, just nothing actually on paper.  

"This is stupid. Pizza time?" Annabel drops everything and stands up, waits for an answer.  

"Yeah. Pizza sounds great. Um, cheese wi-"  

"-With black olives and sausage, and banana peppers?" She took the words right out of my mouth.  

"No way. That's your favorite too?" I stare at her in awe. No one I know likes that type of pizza.  

"Only if it's on deep dish crust." She finishes. No freaking way. Adding that to the list of why she's incredible, now. She's looking at me, an awkward and nervous smile on her face. Oh, geez. Was I staring?  

"Sorry, it's just no one else that I've ever met likes that kind of pizza. You even got the crust right. Ok, what to drink?" It's a test, now.  

"Coke." She answers with certainty. Oh well, opposites attract, right? HOLD ON. Why would I say that? No! No attraction. Speak, Ian!  

"Oh, definitely Dr. Pepper for me."  

"No pop needs 23 flavors, sorry." She grins, a challenge. Dear lord she should quit doing that. Why am I so awkward right now? Any other girl, I'd be relaxing and talking it up. Ok, maybe not so much talking, but you get my point.  

Knock, knock. I wonder how long they've been standing there.  

"Pizza's here!" Annabel smiles, moving from the window. I'm guessing she does that a lot.  

"Whoa, easy creep." She throws a pillow at me before opening the door.  

"Hey, fifteen minutes exactly." Annabel opens the door, and freezes.