She already had a lunch tray with her, and today the school was serving some chicken teriyaki with fried rice. I sat across from her and she immediately said, "The food sucks ass."

"I figured as much," I replied. That was her way of saving me from eating something crappy.

"The school could learn a thing or two from your mom," she went on and sipped her orange juice, some of her lipstick staining the straw.

"She's offered to make us food once before," I stated.

Yani cocked an eyebrow. "And?"

"I said she didn't have to."

"Dammit, Calvin," she groaned, "why?"

"We could just eat the school food!"

"But it sucks!"

"You're just picky," I teased her and she pouted.

"Go get your lunch before it's too late, gringo," she said and waved me off. I chuckled and left my backpack at the booth as I got up. I went in a different line to get a different meal than what Yani got. I would be getting a small sandwich with an apple and crackers, but it was better than nothing.

As I waited in line with other students, I gazed around at the cafeteria. I could see the different sections of cliques in the room. Even though there's a lot of diversity in the school, many racial groups still stick together, as well. Out of about 80,000 students in this school, I was one of maybe 1% of Asians. I never hang out with them, though. They were either too smart for me, too unlike me, or still grasping the English language due to them immigrating within their generation. Many of them have the extreme educational mindset that their Asian countries pressed them about. I obviously don't. My parents didn't want that kind of education for me. They knew what it was like and would never wish it upon me.

Still gazing out at the cafeteria, I noticed a particular figure walking in between a few rows of tables. He was tall, fair skinned, dark haired, and everything about him spoke "oh shit" even from where I stood. He was Eli Gateman--a sort of delinquent in the school. He isn't like others though, as he's quiet and is much more scarier. He's like a lone-wolf. Other delinquents are intimidated by him, except Wesley, whose overly confident personality could probably make him walk right up to a wild tiger.

Eli was certainly different, and scary, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't very, very attracted to him. I'm not making it a point to try to get with him as I am a 5'5 Asian man whose only form of working out outside of PE would be racing to get to a class one minute before the tardy bell. Even if I knew I could get away with talking to him without getting my teeth punched in, I still wouldn't have a chance. Though, frankly, I'm only physically attracted to him. I may be a pervert, but I also desire a nice, down-to-earth relationship with a guy. But god damn, does Eli's presence both scare and allure me. Every girl and gay boy would find him devilishly handsome as I do, if he didn't always have some sort of angry scowl all of the time. If anything, I find him more handsome than many people find Wesley handsome. Eli is good-looking, physically fit, and mysterious. Every edgy teen's dreams. And that's what it is: a dream. But it doesn't bother me.

I finally got my lunch and made my way back to Yani. As soon as I sat down, she and I began chatting again about whatever was going on in life.

"I got word that Christian Sorhinsky is having a party next Saturday," she started with an eager grin.

"The senior?," I mumbled through food.