Trust

Cora

The Fire King's flaming eyes burned into my own as he towered above where I stood

The Fire King's flaming eyes burned into my own as he towered above where I stood. I backed away from him, welcoming the cold air that rushed toward me, signaling that I was no longer dominated by his scorching presence. If he'd looked friendly and welcoming before, he hadn't now.

He watched me, waiting for my answers with an impatient scowl, and I debated rather or not to tell him the truth about why I had burst into his room from a hidden door. Unfortunately, there wasn't a lie that I could even think of that was better than reality.

"I discovered a secret passageway whilst leaning against a wall near my room. I became curious and it led me here. My intention was not to intrude."

I glanced around his room, noticing that the walls were without ice or snow. To the left of me, a fire burned in a secured contraption that he had possibly made. I wasn't sure why it struck me as odd; if I were a Firelander, I wouldn't have wanted a cold room.

"Why were you out of your bed? You were strapped."

"I was," I told him. "Tell me, is it proper to keep an ill and innocent lady contained like a dog?"

His eyes lowered. "You're clever."

"Yes I am, and I have earned it. I grew up in one of the poorest parts of Iceland. I've learned how to have a crafty tongue."

"That tongue won't help you here," he told me, and I  took a step forward.

"No? Well, even if it doesn't, I speak the truth. I shouldn't have been strapped to that bed to begin with. I'm not an enemy to the throne. Please don't tell Titus about this."

"He should be informed, as he is the Ice King."

"He is not my King," I told him. "He is yours. The Ice Clan does not accept his position."

"You'd be surprised." King Toro walked past me and stopped inches from a window that displayed the beautiful, wintery scenery beyond. "It's been three days since he's taken power. He-"

"Wait, it's only been three days?" I couldn't believe it. It had seemed as if weeks had passed since I'd been hurt.

"Do you have any manners?" he asked, his chest slightly puffing out in offense. "Who raised you to cut off a King while he speaks?"

I frowned. "Forgive my manners. I've never had much of them." I cleared my throat. "You said that the...Ice King has been in power for three days. And?"

"It means that King Titus has had enough time to gain his people's trust," he told me. "You never explained how you got out of your confinement."

"By pure will," I told him. "It should be of no surprise, judging that I am one of the chosen four."

"That means nothing to me," King Toro said while approaching me. He grabbed a hold of my arm and walked toward the wall that hid the secret door.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm putting you back." King Toro pushed against the wall, trying to find the door.

"Listen," I began. "You want something from me. If you prove your loyalty by keeping this from the King, I'll tell you everything you want to know." I knew I had no real information to give, but I'd lie myself out of trouble, just the way I'd done as a thieving child.

King Toro paused. "Like what?"

"I told King Titus that they went south, but I'll tell you exactly where you can find the Prince so that you can kill him."

King Toro let go of me, and I backed away to find thoughts jumbled by his burning closeness.

"But I have to trust you first," I told him. "I'm not sure how long that would take. The first step would be keeping this a secret."

"And if I do, I expect you to come here daily. If I am to gain your trust, I need to show you why I can be trusted."

I could never trust a man willing to kill Prince Sebastian. I didn't even trust his willingness to participate in my silly scheme. I wondered if he knew that I was pulling his leg. But if he did, what would be his benefit in going along with me? Possibly to stay a step ahead of me? Maybe I was overthinking it all.

"I will." I told him. "I'll be back tomorrow."

The King pushed against the wall and found the exit. I moved past him and entered into the murky corridor, hoping I wasn't hurting myself in the long run.

Blue City will also be available for free on Wattpad for a limited amount of time, so watch out for it!