Queen Ika

Wildlanders

Wildlanders.

They came from all directions – at least 50 of them, and we were devastatingly outnumbered. These men looked ravenous and ready to kill, and if we didn't find a way out, we would surely be dinner. As they approached, a small opening within the crowd became visible - an opening just big enough for the three of us to slip right through.

"There." I pointed to the gap in men and Sebastian nodded. He then made a sound, causing the polar bears to take off. I looked down at my sides to make sure the wolves still followed. I then looked to my right and saw Luca, who silently suffered from a burn, wincing as his bear moved forward.

The odds were against us.

With Luca's burn, he wouldn't be much help when it came to fighting, meaning the Prince and I would be the ones to fend off our attackers. One thing I was certain of: I wasn't going to get eaten alive.

An arrow slammed into the snow just inches away, causing our bear to shift to his left, and we flew off of its back, landing in the hard snow. My head hit the ice with a thud, momentarily dazing me and I moaned as I sat up. I tried to see past my fogginess with much difficulty.

"Sebastian," I called, turning toward him, and his hand was instantly at my waist, pulling me to my feet.

"The wolves," I said, blinking rapidly as I held on to him, regaining my sight. Thankfully, the three large cubs still trailed along the sides of the bear, unaware of our departure. So much for protection.

Luca, the wolves and the bears were so close to making it through the gap, and it seemed as if the Wildlanders didn't care to stop him. They were more focused on us, the easy targets.

I looked up at the Prince and saw all of the emotion he usually kept hidden behind his icy eyes. The most dominant of those emotions was determination. He was a strong Prince, one who'd do anything to keep us alive. It took a while for me to see the protector inside of him, but once I did, there was no denying it.

So much had happened since the first day I lay eyes on him. Back then, he was cold and distant, a Prince following in his father's footsteps. But he'd only been misunderstood by his people and misused by his own father. The daunting tasks, such as killing innocent royals, left him in a state of coldness - a coldness I'd somehow began to melt.

It had happened with our first kiss, and somehow the warmth and electricity that had passed between us had began to melt the chips of ice covering his heart. Our second kiss was even more powerful - so much so that I thought about it even in the midst of chaos. Our enemies were close, and if we didn't think quickly, we'd be captured.