All of Us

People live and die. Some say when you die, that’s the day when you truly live. Achieving a perfect never-ending bliss. Thoughts and theories of the “afterlife” or what others prefer to call as Heaven. Sometimes you wonder. You doubt the existence of something divine...of something great. That mastermind behind matter. That creator who made the integers – numbers that we all knew to solve the mysteries of all behind life. Maybe it will all remain a mystery. Forever hidden somewhere in the universe. Will you ever find the true meaning of life? You will soon. Because I know you from the heart. I know everything about you. I know what you’ve been doing. Everything. You will eventually find out and realize – once you die.

“And now you’re here, let’s have a little chat about what happened. You died. I know your mind is still thick and blurry but bear with me. Listen. You died. It was a car accident. You don’t remember?” You stared blankly at your lap for a second.

“No you’re not a ghost.” I smirked.

“What? Where am I?”

“I was expecting that. This is weird but, you died.” I patted your shoulder. “I’ll explain. Come.” You begin to stand and look around the endless hallway.

“So, you’re 34 years old. You have a wife and 2 kids, a dog..”

“What’s that? Where’d you get that?” You asked with a puzzled look.

“I know everything. All that happened, happens, and will happen. You died in an accident. It was a rainy night. The truck was skidding. You were on your way home. Just 3 blocks more. You got hit by the truck. It was rather quick, painless.” I explained as we walked through the all-white hallway.

“Is this the afterlife?” We stopped as you look above. There was nothing. All white.

“If you put it that way, then yes.” I smiled.

“Are you God?”

“I am God if you people think of it that way. I am the One behind all of these. Does Alpha and Omega ring a bell?” I giggled as we continue to walk.

You paused and reflected. “I died.. What about my wife? My kids? Will they be alright?” Your eyes full of concern.

“That’s what I wanted to hear. Your main concern is your family, your loved ones. You do your job for them and that’s good stuff, man.” I patted your shoulder.

We stopped at some bench. Trees begin to grow, flowers sprung, it was a beautiful scene. It was majestic. You looked amazed. You’re fascinated by my ‘look’. I know you people refer to God as the Almighty, maybe with ‘almighty’ clothes and robes. I looked like nobody. I had a normal white shirt and blue pants.

“You know that song? ‘What if God was one of us? Just a stranger on a bus?’? Well, I know you’ve heard about that song” I asked you as you were humming, trying to recall that song.

“Oh, yeah. That song. You mean you come to us occasionally?”

“Yes. I do come every day and night. I’m always there.” I smiled.

“How do you help people? Do you make miracles? I know this is somewhat childish but, you get the point..”

“I knew you were going to ask that” I stood up and picked a flower. “I don’t really do miracles as some of you people think I would.” The flower begun to bloom. “I just help people decide what’s best. Well, I don’t control them. I just suggest, become their guide.”