Chapter 2 - Expedition

Throughout our journey to the ruins, I had never realized how excruciatingly awkward it would be with myself and Bellamy alone. Although we disliked each other, there was somehow a tension during the journey which I couldn't decipher. Having wandered through the dense forest for hours now, he attempted to relieve the tension with a conversation. "We shouldn't have left Murphy in charge. Do you really trust him?" "Not exactly trust, but this is important. And I'm pretty sure they can look after themselves- they can't just rely on us to lead things." He nodded understandingly, as we proceeded to wander.
After a short while, I noticed from a distance a huge flock of birds rushing directly toward us, sworming around. That was when I realized that a cloud of acid fog was submerging the afternoon sky. As it began nearing closer to us, I exclaimed "Bellamy, run!" We hurriedly sprinted across the forest, dodging each tree and branch in our way. Ahead of me Bellamy was glancing now and then to check I was okay, causing me to realize that maybe he does care about the girl who he claims to hate.
Although, there was one branch on the ground which I couldn't avoid, causing me to trip and plummet to the ground; my head bashing on the hard, damp floor. My ankle and head were in awful pain, so I winced and released a brief scream. I could vaguely see a now blurry Bellamy turning immediately to see me lying among the dirt and leaves, unable to lift myself from the ground due to the incessant pain. Glancing ahead of us I could see the acid fog thickening and almost surrounding us.
"Clarke! Take my hand!" "Just leave me Bellamy...we ca- we can't both get out alive ...our people need you. Protect them for m-" "No way am I leaving you Clarke!" He interrupted. We stared at each other, he looked deep in my eyes- giving me the 'trust me' gaze. Clenching my now sweaty hands, he heaved me up and gently carried me, whilst attempting to run as fast as possible.
My head was in unbearable pain and my vision was impaired from bashing my head so hard, causing everything I saw to be blurry. "We're surrounded!" He shouted, looking around for any available escape. His voice echoed softly in my head.This is it. This is how we're going to die. I would never get to tell Bellamy thank you for saving me, or that I'm sorry for hating him. "Wait...the bunker..." I managed to whisper. "Where? Clarke?!" My head instantly became faint and I couldn't breathe easily; as though my lungs could no longer function. I knew I needed to get out my words to save us but my brain couldn't process anything. The fog was everywhere now, and anywhere that Bellamy turned, all that was visible was the cloud of yellow ash. A burning sensation began to cover my skin, as I began to slightly regain consciousness. "About 50m ahead north..." I managed to stutter. He nodded, "Clarke, hang on. We'll get you out of here. You're gonna be safe, you hear me?" He said with desperation in his crackling voice.