~~~~~

Georgia told me that I had to ride the bus home from school today.  I was dreading that all day.  It was always hot and overcrowded on that stupid bus.  It was “mandatory” that we sit three to a seat.  The ride home would take about an hour.  I absolutely hate the bus.  I could rant for hours on how bad the bus was, but I won’t.  You can thank me in what ever way you wish.

The bus dropped me and three other kids at the end of our road at 4:00.  The warm April breeze felt good to my overheated body.  I stood in the middle of the road for a minute just so I could feel the breeze.

Amy Jo stepped up to me.  She was two years older than me and mean as crap.  I tried my best to stay away from her, it just didn’t always work.

“Why you ridin’ the bus today?”  Amy Jo smiled sweetly at me as she walked around me trailing her finger around my shoulders.  This can’t be good.

“Georgia had an appointment after school.”  I tried to make myself look smaller and sound more confident at the same time.  It didn’t work.  The result was more like I needed to pee.

“Well, maybe she just didn’t want you around.  You know her friends have to be relieved that you didn’t tag along today.  You’re such a goodie-goodie,” she taunted.

‘I’m a strong person’, I kept on walking.  I was near enough to my house now.  I’d be able to see it in just a minute.  I wouldn’t let her get to me.

“She probably hates having you around anyway,” she sneered.

‘I’m a strong person’.  She can’t get to…  she pushed me.  I fell to the ground catching myself with my hands.  I quickly stood back up and brushed myself off.  My palms were scratched and had small streams of blood on them.

“Leave her alone Amy Jo.  She’s OK,” Crystal pleaded.  Crystal was Amy Jo’s little sister.  She was my age and an OK girl.

“Shut up, Crystal.  Georgia is never not around.  This is my chance to kick some goodie-goodie,” Amy Jo shouted to her sister.

“Come on, AJ.  Georgia’s already going to kick your tail for pushing her.  Leave her alone.”  This time is was our neighbor Jeff who spoke up.  He was 15 and could care less about any of us.  I was surprised he even turned around when she pushed me.

“Oh shut up, Jeff. Little City isn’t going to tell on me, are you,” She stated with such certainty as she pushed me on my shoulder trying to knock me down again.

‘I am a strong person.’  I stood straight and lowered my head.  She pushed me harder and put her foot out for me to trip over.

“Georgia wouldn’t touch me anyway!” she yelled as I fell again.

‘I am a…gonna kick her tail!’

In that instant I remembered everything Georgia, Chris, and Russ had taught me.  I swung at Amy Jo’s face and landed a solid blow to her nose as I kicked her feet out from under her.  My rage at the situation began to flow as I landed on top of her fallen form and began to wail on her ribs and upper body.

I could hear Crystal crying and I truly felt sorry for her, but I didn’t stop.  I couldn’t.  Amy Jo had been picking on me for years.  She would always come up with a reason.  I was dumb, fat, smart, or goodie-goodie.

I felt hands on my shoulders and I finally stopped.  Jeff had pulled me off of Amy Jo.  I surveyed the situation.  Amy Jo’s lip and nose were bleeding and she was crying.  Crystal was frozen beside me, speechless.  Jeff held me up as I cried and turned me around.