Chapter 6

OK, here's the next chapter.

To the people who are still reading to this point, THANK YOU.  I hope that you are enjoying it.  I would love to hear your thoughts.  So, please, vote, comment, fan.

I hope to hear from you soon because I am kinda getting discouraged at this point.

Anyway- Thanks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We drove back home with Chris and Russ in the back seat.  I have to admit, I was a little confused about Georgia’s declaration that I needed to learn to fight.  Why in the world would I need this?

Georgia pulled into her spot at the edge of the drive way and we got out.  As we were walking up the walk way toward out house, Chris smiled.

“So this is where you live?  I think I’ve met your dad.  He brought me here a couple of times for lunch.”  He sounded like this was normal, everyday actions for my dad.

I had to wonder because I always imagined my dad not having any friends, much less one that was the same age as my sister.  Georgia must have had the same doubts because she had a strong frown on her face.

“Why on earth would my dad have you over for lunch at our house?”  She didn’t try to hide her unbelieving surprise.

“Oh, I worked in his office last summer while school was out.  It was no big deal.  He had to pick up some papers and I came with him.  Since we were here, we grabbed some food.”

“I guess.  You don’t talk to him anymore, do you?”  Georgia sounded hopeful at the last part.

“No, it was only a summer job.  I loved working with your dad, though.  I talked to him about my parents a lot.  You guys are lucky to have a dad that’s easy to talk to.”

Was he serious?

“Yeah, whatever you say,” Georgia said dismissively.

I was almost in shock listening to their conversation.  My dad, ‘easy to talk to’?  We kept moving towards the house but, for me, it was just an automatic reaction.  I didn’t know what to think.  I mean, Georgia didn’t like me being around Chris.  And now, even my dad is hanging around with him.

Georgia opened the front door and I shook my head to clear it.  She told Chris and Russ to wait in the living room while we changed from our church dresses.

“Hurry up Savannah, put on some sweatpants and a shirt.  Make sure you wear your tennies ‘cause we’re going to be serious for a while.”  She was dressing in her own outfit as she was spouting directions at me.  I pulled out my clothes and began to dress.

“Why are we doing this again?”  I had no idea when the afternoon had changed.  I expected her to either be torn up or dismissive about my dream.  It’s like she didn’t even hear me.

“Duh, if I’m gonna die, somebody’s going to have to keep you safe,” she said it like it was just common sense.  I was flabbergasted.

She really made a good point but I was confused as to how she could have just accepted her fate.  She should be fighting that instead of teaching me to fight.  We dressed and met back up with the guys.  Georgia led us to the back yard and explained that she wanted to teach me to fight.  When Georgia didn’t volunteer more information Russ chimed in.

“Why does Little City need to know how to fight?”

“Why, to fight off all the boys, of course.”  Georgia was a fast thinker.