Chapter 14

Shawn walked into the publishing company the next day hoping to see Beyoncé there. The two of them needed to talk, and it was better to do it sooner rather than later. His eyes darted around the office floor, but he didn't see her, and when they finally rested on her office, the door was closed. He didn't know whether that meant that she was locked up inside or she wasn't here at all. He wanted to call her, but he didn't know if her phone would be fixed by now, so all he really could do is wait for a phone call from her.
"Good morning," his thoughts were interrupted by Adrienne, who seemed to appear out of nowhere. "How are you? You don't look so good."
He shrugged. "Had a bad night last night."
"Do you want to talk about it?" She asked.
He figured why not, and he followed her into the temporary office she had set up. He closed the door behind them.

"So, what's up?" She asked as she sat down on the couch.
Shawn reached into his pocket and pulled out her lipstick. "You left this in my bathroom."
"Thank you," she reached for it, but she still held her frown. "But I know you can't be upset about lipstick, so what is it?"
"Beyoncé came over to my house last night, and when she found your lipstick she..." he shrugged and shook his head. "I don't know, she just got upset."
"I thought you two weren't seeing each other."
"We're not. I have no idea why she got so mad. I mean, she started throwing things and screaming."
Adrienne smiled and shook her head. "Obviously, she was upset because she cares about you."
Shawn frowned and looked in her direction. "That's not true. She's the one who said she wanted a relationship with no strings."
"Well, at some point, strings formed." She argued. "Shawn, no woman is going to scream and throw things at you over lipstick unless she has some kind of feelings for you." He didn't know what to say. "Have you called her?"
"No, she threw her phone at me too, and it broke."
"Well, doesn't her sister work here? Talk to her, ask her where she is."
He sighed. "I don't even know if she wants to talk to me. Or if I want to talk to her."
"It doesn't really matter what you want. The two of you should talk and let your feelings be known."
Shawn scoffed. "And what makes you think I have feelings for her?"
"Because if you didn't have feelings for her, then you wouldn't be so upset."

~*~*~*~*~*~

The doctor said I'm seven weeks along. He told me that I still have options. I said okay, but I had already made up my mind that I'm not going to terminate the pregnancy.
When I left the doctor's office, I checked my new phone to see if I had any messages. I went out to get a new phone first thing this morning, then I set up a same day appointment with the doctor. I also called my sister to let her know that I wouldn't be in. When I checked my phone screen, she had sent me a message.
"Shawn wants to talk to you." Was all it said. I ignored it and drove off towards the grocery store. I know I have to talk to him, but I don't know what I'm going to say. I'm scared of how he'll react.
I just went to the store to get a few things for dinner and pick up some prenatal vitamins before heading back home. As I put away all my groceries, I thought about how I would tell him. My biggest fear is that he'll ask me to get an abortion. I know the chances of that happening are unlikely, but the chance is still there. I kept thinking and overthinking, and eventually I was starting to stress myself out. I knew there was no point in doing that, so I did what I do every time I get stressed. I called my mother.

She answered the phone after a few rings, and she sounded a little concerned. "Beyoncé, is everything all right? No one could get ahold of you all day."
"I'm fine Mamma. Well...relatively speaking, at least." I sighed.
"What do you mean? What's wrong?"
I decided not to hesitate or beat around the bush. I just let it out. "I'm pregnant."

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Have you told him yet?"
"What do you think?" I looked over at my sister. After calling my mother and speaking to her for a while, she told me to come over for lunch. Solange came from work too, and Larren has been staying with our parents, so she was there as well. My mom made sandwiches for us to eat, and she made homemade sweet tea and lemonade. Usually, homemade food and drinks puts me in a better mood, but it's not working today.
"You have to tell him. He's been trying to talk to you all day." Solange continued.
"My number didn't change. If he really wanted to talk to me, all he had to do was pick up the phone."
She rolled her eyes. "He doesn't even know if your phone is fixed. You threw it at him, remember?"
"Wait," my mom stopped us. "Why did you throw your phone?"
I sighed and began to tell the story of what happened the night before.
"You got mad over lipstick?" Solange asked.
"No, I got mad about the fact that he had another woman in his bedroom."
"I thought you said the two of you weren't exclusive." My mom noted.
No one knew that Shawn and I were actually involved until I spoke with my mom earlier today. Of course, she asked me who the father of my baby is, and when I said it's Shawn, I had to explain the rest of the situation to her.