Post # 28

Sushmita Sen (born 19 November 1975) is an Indian film actress, model and the winner of the Miss Universe pageant of 1994. She was the first Indian to win the crown.

Sushmita Sen made history by adopting a baby girl named Renée in 2000. She, as a single woman of only 25 years of age, was not viewed as socially acceptable to obtain the guardianship of the baby. However, the High Court of Bombay quashed the appeal and she obtained gain of cause. On 13 January 2010, she adopted a three-month-old girl and named her Alisah.

She proudly says, "Right now, my entire focus is on spending quality time with them. There is no plan in my life now to get married."

For every unwanted child murdered or about to be murdered in the country, I say there are hundreds and thousands of young couples who pine for a child and fail to find happiness for a variety of physiological or psychological reasons that could an...

For every unwanted child murdered or about to be murdered in the country, I say there are hundreds and thousands of young couples who pine for a child and fail to find happiness for a variety of physiological or psychological reasons that could and often do impact those around us. Rather than killing off our young, wouldn't it make more sense to find ways and means to bring those who don't want the children and those who pine for the same together? Ridiculously simplistic, yes; but logical and worth thinking through as an option? No doubt.

Perhaps the starting point lies in ridding the act of adoption of many of the social appendages that stop people from taking on such 'acts of courage'. We need more Sushmita Sen's in our midst who can proudly set an example for others to consider and follow.

 We need more Sushmita Sen's in our midst who can proudly set an example for others to consider and follow