Chapter Fifty Three: Under New Management

Start from the beginning

"There's going to be a luncheon?"

Loretta nods. "Mhm. Sort of a 'Family Reunion' and 'Congratulations to Elizabeth having her baby' thing before she leaves tomorrow."

Now that I hear of this "Family Gathering," Sebastian must go to it. If Sebastian is the only one not present at the first family luncheon and the last day of Elizabeth being here before she heads back home, people will be curious; people will probably blame me, for all I know. And the last thing I want is to be on the Vaun's hit-list.

"Well I'll make sure he does go, because I'm certain he'll conjure up any excuse not to attend."

"Well none of the maids and nannies have a choice since we're waiting on the luncheon, so I'll be in attendance myself."

Her dim and somber attitude to being with the Vaun family all day makes me laugh. After I finish my bagel, I leave the guest house and head to the library. Outside, I see workers taking tables, chairs and other set-up items down the trail the opposite side of the house, where the lake resides.

It's still early in the morning, so I assume that most everyone is still sleeping. The only sounds inside the house come from the kitchen, where the cooks are preparing breakfast and food for the luncheon, from what I see—chicken being prepped and put into the oven and potatoes being covered in tin foil.

When I walk into the library, Sarah, Lucas and Sebastian are already inside, sitting and conversing on the couches.

"Oh!" I close the door behind me. "You're all already up?"

"It pays to be up bright and early, Ms. King," Sebastian tells me, a wide smile planted on his face. "Your dreams must have kept you through your alarm?"

I frown, confused. "Um...no, I just...I was talking to Loretta before I came here and we kind of got held up."

"Don't worry about it," Sarah says to me. I notice her eyes bore into Sebastian, causing him to look away from both of us.

Still a bit confused about the odd atmosphere, I let it go before setting my laptop and purse down on the table. Considering that I'm no longer obligated to work this operation Garrett's way, I have a different path for us. And they'll probably be a little perplexed at my change of spirit. But if this last month has taught me anything, it's made me realize what's good for Sebastian, instead of what's good for his father.

"Before we start, I'd like to say something important."

I have everyone's attention as I walk to the front of the desk. I take a deep breath before I begin.

"I know that the last three weeks have been very confusing. I'll admit, ever since that day Sebastian and I got lost in the woods, tensions have been kind of high between everyone here in the manor."

The amusement on Sebastian's face is gone. Instead, he looks anguished, remembering the events that proceeded that day.

"We haven't really been on the same page. It's almost as if we've forgotten the reason why we're here in the first place. We've been very divided, detached and distracted. And I don't want that anymore. Garrett officially announces his retirement in about three weeks, and we have one more week here. Which means we have two weeks after we leave to make Sebastian seem ready and able enough to the Board to run Harrison Incorporated. I've been thinking a lot about our approach and I think it's time we take a different route."

"I appreciate the incentive on being more united," Sarah says. "But what do you mean by 'different route?'"

"Starting fresh," I reply with an amount of optimism that lets them know I'm serious. I've known since Sebastian revealed his past to me that I've been going about this all wrong. We should have handled this situation better in the first place. We should have advertised Sebastian as who he is instead of who we wanted him to be. And the only way we can do that now is if we go back to the drawing board. But I don't want to propose any sudden moves unless we all agree."