Chapter 8

Mary woke up, confused and sore, in the stairwell. She got to her feet and felt a sharp pain from her knees. She stumbled back to the floor. She looked up. There was a trail of blood leading from the stairwell down the stairs. Jason..., her thought immediately went horrible, thinking of all the horrible things being done to him. She shook her head, No. I won't give in to fear. Not here, not today. She left the stairwell. The hallway was dark, darker than she ever felt it before. Her battery was dead and Jason's phone was broken. No way to call for help. I must find Dean and Young Hee.

She ran through the hallway. ssshs. A strange sound. She stopped in her tracks, afraid that the killer was close by and coming back for her. Sweat began to drip from her bruised forehead. She looked around. Nothing but darkness. A moment passed. The sound did not repeat. She ran to the main stairs and looked around. No sign of the killer. She ran up one floor and looked around the hallway. She blindly guessed and ran down the hallway to her left. The floor squeaked from each step of her blood and fear soaked sneakers. Shit! Why'd they make the floor so damn squeaky?! As she ran past the rooms, she heard some muffled sounds. They came from a room to her right. She stopped and backed up, then faced the room. Please let this be Young Hee... She pushed open the door.

"AAH!" screamed Mary.

"AAHH!" screamed Young Hee. She dropped her flashlight. The light flickered around their terrified faces.

"Whoa! What's the deal?" asked Dean. "You sound like you saw a ghost."

"It's a serial killer! He killed Jason! And I think he's got Mack!" quickly said Mary.

"These rooms have been empty for at least a year. Where the hell was he living?" wondered Dean

"This better not be some kinda prank, girl," warned Young Hee in a strict, upset voice. "I've seen Hair Witch-"

"No, stupid! I'm telling you the truth! Look at my arms!" Mary held out her arms and Young Hee picked up the flashlight. There were some painful marks on her arms.

"No wonder I have a headache," said Dean.

"So why aren't you dead?" sarcastically asked Young Hee.

"Guess he wasn't that good at his job."

"We gotta find him and stop him before he kills us!" pleaded Mary.

"Damn straight, girl. Let's get this sonofabitch!" said Young Hee, loudly.

"Where is he hiding?" wondered Dean.

"He's gotta be in the basement. We haven't checked there yet," surmised Young Hee.

They walked quietly down the stairs, listening carefully for the sneaky, evil man who killed their friends. Each soft step they took made them feel like they were sneaking past a sleeping dragon. Once down to the basement level, they came across many doors with windows. Only one had a light, a sinister yellow light, shining through the window. They kept low and walked as silently as they could to the door. wrrssshhh! The sound of a power tool. skkrkreeeeeSSSeeee! The sound of a blade being sharpened. The three remaining students got to the door. Mary, fear making her knees knock together, pushed open the door. 

The crusty gray door swung open and latched to the side. Inside, the large, muscular masked killer was holding a hatchet in his hands. He was looking down at the strapped-down dead student on the steel table when the door swung open. He heard the door latch and looked up.

"You evil fucker! Get away from him, now!" demanded Mary. She looked around the room, the kill room, for a weapon, any weapon, to fight this monster. She saw a box of nails on a counter and grabbed them. She threw it at the killer. He covered his face as the nails bounced off his mask.

Dean and Young Hee charged forward. Dean grabbed a heavy wrench and swung it at the killer. clang! The killer parried it with his hatchet. This left him open to his left. Young Hee ran around Mack's body and hit the killer hard in the mask with a left punch. wump! She kicked him hard in the ribs with a left kick.

The killer swung his hatchet from right to left. Dean dodged the very sharp, glittering blade. Young Hee wasn't so lucky and got hit in the neck. She grabbed her throat and went down, blood spewing from her larynx and carotid arteries. Mary jumped off the empty middle table. Whud! Kicked him in the ribs. He skidded back from the kick, Wrtong! Dean hit him in the mask. The metal mask protected the killer's face. bokk! The killer headbutted Dean in the face, breaking his nose. Dean backed up and dropped the heavy wrench. wap! The killer slapped Mary hard in the face, sending her spinning away from him. Dean tried to focus, but the pain distracted him. crrcckGG! The hatchet cut through Dean's skull. His dead eyes curled into his head and he fell to the floor, blood pulsing out of his head. The killer yanked hard and removed the hatchet.

Mary got up off the floor, and saw her fallen friends. No, not like this. I won't go down without a fight!

She looked around and saw a spray can of shop oil with a straw in the hole. She grabbed it. whsss! The killer's hatchet barely missed her head, and bounced off the cabinet. In doing so, the cabinet door opened, revealing a lighter. She quickly grabbed the laser lighter and lit it.

"Burn, asshole," she said. vvooosh! The oil spray hit the hot laser beam and a spray of fire came out, hitting the killer in the coat. The killer rushed forward, tackling Mary and knocking the flame kit from her hands. The killer punched Mary once in the jaw. Mary responded with a very strong double-legged kick to the killer's chest. He went backwards and fell flat on the empty metal table.

Mary struggled, got up and yelled "You're gonna hafta earn this kill, asshole."

The frustrated killer got to his feet. Unfortunately, for him, so did Jason and Mack. They were only bound by one arm and they quickly untied themselves and stood. The killer saw this, and looked around quickly. Even with the mask on his face, Mary could sense his fear. Dean and Young Hee also stood up. Their wounds began to close rapidly. "What...the," Mary said slowly, in complete confusion. "But...you're dead. I SAW YOU DIE!!!"

"Yeah, about that," Young Hee started to explain. "We're not that easy to kill."