Chapter 36

At the moment, Niall was lying down in the leaned back chair, and I was running my hands through his hair, playing around with it. His eyes were closed, relaxed by the feeling of my hands.

"Mmmm," he sighs in comfort.

"Does that feel good?" I ask him, even though I already know the answer.

"Uh huh," he says muffled through the gauze.

I laugh at how funny he looks moaning with all the gauze in his mouth.

"Wath tho funny?" He asks trying to say "what's so funny".

"Nothing," I reply still laughing a little.

"Am I funny wooking or fomething?" He jokes.

"Maybe..." I tease back.

"For yur informathion, I've been thold I am fery good wooking."

"That's not what I heard," Matt jokes from the other side of the room, leaned against the counter on his phone.

"Pwease, you wisss you had my wooks."

"Yeah it's my dream to look like you with a mouth full of bloody gauze mumbling nonsense."

Matt and Niall keep going at it and all I can do is laugh.

"Oh pwease Elw (Elle), I know you wike this." Niall says pointing to himself.

"Okay buddy," Matt says walking back over to where Niall and I were. "I think it's about time to change the gauze. It's been forty five minutes."

Ready to get new gauze, he situates him self in the chair while Matt sits on the rolling stool. The light is turned on again, and a second pair of gloves are snapped on to Matt's hands. Shivers are sent down my spine, just like every other time. Niall eagerly opens his mouth and Matt begins to pull out each of the gauze, setting it on the tray. One by one, they are pulled out, and one by one, Niall looks more relieved.

"I feel so free right now," he laughs.

"Until I put new gauze in," Matt laughs.

"I'll take whatever freedom I can get."

Matt brings the fresh gauze over to Niall and he opens wide.

"A lot of the bleeding has subsided. So I will just use one this time."

The thankfulness on Niall's face made him look like he was about to praise Matt for his "act of kindness". I guess that's what happened when you have had a mouth full of bloody gauze for a few hours.

Matt picks up a new gauze and retracts Niall's, check placing the gauze behind. After everything was all situated, the light was turned off and the gloves were removed. Niall's chair was lifted up so he could sit up once again.

"Hey so I will be right back," Matt speaks up. "I'm just going to grab some water from the fountain in the hall. Be back in a second."

Once Matt is out of the room, Niall's attention turns to mine.

"How are you doing through all of this?" He asks me.

"How are you doing. I mean, you are the one having a tooth ripped out ." He chuckles at my comment. "Sorry I didn't mean it like that."

"No it's all good. This wasn't my ideal way to spend our first night, but it's what happened. I grew up learning about the importance of dental health, so I know this is something good to take care of now." I nod in response. I grew up hating everything about the dentist, so it's not like I can say I relate. "I just wanted to make sure you are okay through all of this. I know it isn't your favorite."

"It's not, no, but I do feel a little better not being the patient in the chair. At the same time, I'm just worried about you."

"Hey, I will be all right. I've got a great dentist, and trust me, he knows what he is doing. I'll be fixed up soon, and then we can go back to the lake house and relax. Maybe watch a movie?"

"Yeah I'd like that."

He's the one in pain, and yet he is comforting me. How did I get so lucky?