Chapter 37

It was about an hour later when Dr. King came back into the room, following him was a young woman.

"Hey guys. Sorry the appointments ran a little long today, but I'm here now so we can get that tooth fixed up."

"Yeah, thanks again for helping me," Niall said.

"No problem. Now, I want you to meet Miranda." She reaches over to shake Niall's hand. "Miranda is my assistant for today and will be helping me out during the process. I don't want to keep you all here too much longer, so I think we best get started. Sound good?" Dr. King asks.

"Sounds good to me," Niall replies.

"Elle, I can sit with you in the lobby," Matt offers to me.

"Okay." I probably should have said something more, but I didn't. I froze a little. I do it every time I am near a dentist.

I kind of zoned out of everything that happened after that. Dr. King said some things to Niall. Niall replied saying some things. As Matt walked me out of the room, I noticed tools and needles being laid out onto a tray. I'm glad I didn't see much else after that. Matt and I walk down the hallway and make our way to the lobby. Every chair was empty since the clinic was closed. Even the secretary had left, so we were all alone. I really wish there was some kind of background noise to distract me. We sit in the chairs closest to the window, awkwardly. I don't say anything. I'm not sure what to say.

"Hey, are you okay?" Matt asks concerned.

"Yeah." No.

"Are you sure? You look a little tense."

"No I'm okay." I wish I was.

"Elle, you can talk to me. I know you're scared of the dentist."

Wait, no. How does he know that?

"I...um... I don't know what you-"

"Elle, I'm studying to be a dentist. I know when someone is afraid."

"Did Niall tell you."

"No, no one said anything. No one has to."

"Is it obvious?"

"No, I'm just used to picking up signals."

"What do you mean?"

"Lucy... she used to avoid the dentist in high school."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I mean, of course money issues contributed to that, but none the less she did not like going. I would have to trick her into going so she would get the help that she needed. I got tired of watching her avoid the dentist, so I wanted to become one to help her."

"What did she say when you told her that was what you wanted to do?"

"She wasn't happy, if that is what you mean. Lucy and I got in an argument about it before I left for college, but I coaxed her into being okay with it. It's like you and Niall. You might hate the dentist, but you love Niall. Therefore, you are learning to be okay with the dentist."

"I guess so."

"If anyone else were to be your dentist instead of Niall, you would more uncomfortable than you already do, right?" I nod my head. "I knew that unless it would physically be me as her dentist, Lucy, I wouldn't be able to guarantee her the help she needs."

"What do you mean? You keep saying 'the help she needs' as if there is something really wrong."

"For Lucy, it's more than just wanting to avoid the dentist. Her enamel is really weak. She has to work extra hard to prevent cavities. That is why it is extra important for her not to avoid the dentist."

"I didn't know Lucy was ever afraid of the dentist. She always goes to your open practice days. She seems to be fine with that."

"That's because she doesn't actually plan on having a checkup when she comes. Half the time all she will do is be stubborn or try to distract me with kisses."

"Then why do you ask her to come in each week if you know nothing is going to happen."

"Every now and then, she will let me just give her a quick checkup, and that's all I ask from her. I bet sounds almost controlling of me to tell her to come in every single week, but I would rather act a little like a father figure than watch her go through a filling. I've seen enough of those happen with her to know its best to be forceful with her and her dental health."

"You said you wanted to be...-"

"A densit?" He cuts in.

"Yeah... For Lucy. What did you want to do before you met her?"

"Business. I'm really good when it comes to numbers and finance and being a leader. I was so sure, for the longest time, I would start my own company or something."

"Wow. Do you ever wish you had chosen that instead?"

"Part of me misses it. The idea of starting a company and wearing suits was so appealing. But I knew that if I wanted things to work with Lucy, I had to put her first. I mean, dentists make good money. I'm a really fast learner when it comes to it, and I like being able to help people. In the end, I know I made the right choice."

"I take it that you plan to be with her forever."

"If you are asking if I'm going to propose to her, the answer is yes. Not now, it's too early. She just got out of high school and we are so young. I want to wait until after college when we can focus on our relationship and our relationship only."

"That's so sweet. You guys are good together."

"Thank you I'd like to think so myself. You and Niall are great together as well. He's crazy about you, you know?"

"Really?" I can feel my cheeks turn pink.

"It's so obvious. He doesn't look at anyone like the way he looks at you. Trust me."

"Speaking of Niall, do you think he will be okay?"

"Niall is in good hands. Zach graduated at the top of his class. I promise you, he is alright."

"It's just that... Niall was so in pain when he was checking his teeth. Dr. King wasn't even doing anything."

"You're right, Niall was in pain. It wasn't anything Zach could have changed. Niall's tooth is just messed up. That darn frozen almond. The nerves were really sensitive, so a slight tap feels a hundred times worse. Zach knows what he is doing and Niall will be feeling better in no time."

"How long do you think it will take?"

"Maybe a half an hour? So he's probably got about twenty minutes left. Do you have anything you want to do to pass the time?"

"I don't know. Have any suggestions?"

"Um... Eye spy?"

"Really?"

"Yeah, I mean... Wait. Everything is either blue or white."

"That plant is green."

"Eye spy something green." He jokes.

"Is it the plant?" I joke back.

"How did you ever guess?"

"I guess I'm just good at this game."

"I guess so."

We continued to play dumb car ride games out of boredom, waiting for Niall. I laughed at the jokes we made, but I was still really nervous. It was weird knowing Niall was the patient. All I could do was sit and wait outside in the lobby, laughing at things that aren't even that funny.

*****
A little AN: All my characters are made up except for Niall, since it's a fan fiction based off of him. Apparently there is a Zach King on vine, but I just wanted to point out that I didn't know that until now. The Zach King in my book is just made up. Just a little side note. That's all.

Make sure to comment down below on what you liked so far in the book and what you want to see in the future. Be specific and I will keep it in mind during my writing!