Chapter 4: White Chocolate Mousse Cake

A/N: Another Bee & Puppycat reference here. Also, a reference to the terrible 4kids dub (which was my introduction to One Piece). Props to anyone who can catch them!

***

[12 Years Ago; Lavi, age 6]

"Miss Makino! Miss Makino!" Shouted an eager six-year-old Lavi as she bounced up and down on said woman's bed.

"Lavi," Makino groaned out with a hint of disapproval in her voice.

"Wake up!" Lavi whined. Makino sat up in her bed causing Lavi to grin. At the sight of the girl's exuberant face, Makino couldn't help but smile.

"Why are you so excited this morning?" She asked the young girl.

"I realized something!" Lavi explained.

"And what is that?" Lavi's face grew serious before responding.

"The sooner we start my lesson for today, the sooner I finish it. And then I get to go see Luffy and Sabo!" Makino laughed lightly at the explanation.

"Not Ace?" She inquired. Lavi puffed up her cheeks at the mention of the boy.

"I don't wanna see him! He's a meanie."

"A little birdie told me that you are always picking fights with him." Makino gave her a stern look.

"What?!" Lavi shouted. "Who said that?! Was it Ace?! I'm gonna have to fight him for lying!" Makino sighed.

"You are hopeless," she muttered with a sigh.

"Huh?" Lavi uttered while tilting her head; Makino shook her head as she got out of bed.

"Come on," she told Lavi. "Let's get ready for the day."

"Yes!" Lavi leaped off the bed excitedly—excitement which remained until Makino finished helping her get dressed.

"No! No! No!" Lavi shouted, stomping one foot into the ground. Her brow furrowed as she looked at the light blue dress on her frame through the mirror. "I don't like this!"

"But you look so pretty in it," Makino said.

"I don't care!" Lavi responded, puffing up her cheeks. "It doesn't have pockets! Where am I supposed to keep my candy?!" Makino giggled at the girl's reaction.

"Is that the only thing that bothers you?" Makino asked. Lavi turned to look at her blankly.

"Yes," she said.

"Well," began Makino, "I know that it's hard to find dresses with pockets so how about I teach you how to sew?"

"How would that help?"

"Well, then you could make your own pockets." Lavi's face lit up.

"I can do that?!" She asked incredulously.

"Of course."

"Can I make extra pockets?!" Lavi asked while bouncing up and down.

"Within reason," Makino answered her.

"Yes! What are we waiting for?!" She grabbed onto Makino's hand and tugged her out of the room.

"Lavi!" Makino squealed at the rough pull forward. "Slow down!"

***

[Present; Lavi, age 18]

Watching him cook was like watching a dance; it was like watching a ballet with a choreography that only the most advanced of dancers could learn. His hands moved with a speed and precision that could only have been achieved from years of experience.