The Inauguration Celebration

The doors glided open with a woosh, revealing nothing but darkness ahead.

"What th-"
"WELCOME, MS. O!"

Almost immediately, all the lights in the main floor lit up, illuminating the large crowd of cheering and applauding agents gathered on the floor. Purple and gold fireworks began to spit and crackle in the air above them as a cloud of confetti of the same colors rained down upon everything.
Olive and Otto stood frozen, wide-eyed in amazement.

But the clapping and cheering of the crowd slowly began to die out. It was replaced by murmurs and whispers of confusion.

"Who's that guy?"
"A Mr. O?"
"Two directors?"

Olive glanced at Otto, who only shrugged.
The girl turned back to the crowd and cleared her throat.

"Ahem. Thank you all! This...was certainly unexpected.", she declared.

The agents quickly hushed and stared at her blankly.
Olive began to grow nervous. She could feel the hundreds of eyes on her.
She cleared her throat yet again.

"I can see there is some confusion here. This is-"
Otto stepped forward and bowed.
"Yours truly, Otto. I'm your new Mr. O.", he smiled broadly with a wink.

The crowd remained in silence for a few moments, contemplating the situation.

"WELCOME MRS. AND MR. O!", they finally cheered.
Otto turned to his partner and gave her a toothy grin.
"I think I could get used to this.", he sighed in content
- - - - - - - - -
Otto waltzed up to the large purple table set up by the break room. It was finger food and desserts galore. Everything was stacked high on large platters.

Behind him, it was a party.
Though awkward at first, the music was started (A Soundcheck playlist by Otto's request) and everyone joined in on the inauguration celebration of the new Squad directors.

Otto was reaching for his fourth brownie when he felt a tap on his shoulder.

"Excuse me. I need to restock the buffalo wings.", a voice sighed behind him.

Though the lights were dimmed, Otto turned to see a short boy balancing a tray of steaming wings on his right hand. He was clad in the Odd Squad break room uniform and his dark hair was covered in a hair net.

"Oop. Sorry about that.", Otto apologized loudly over the music and stepped out of the way.

The other boy glanced at him and gasped. The tray shook precariously in his hand.

"M-Mr. O! I'm s-so sorry! I didn't know!", he stuttered as he managed a quick bow.

"S'okay."

The shorter boy grasped the tray with both hands and and smiled nervously.
"Oh, what an honor! Please! Grab what you'd like!", he gushed.

Otto nodded and picked up his brownie with a napkin as the boy set down the tray.

"Thanks-oh, man-I don't know your name."
"Orion, sir."

Otto nodded and took a large bite of his treat.

"You don half to use 'sir'", he said between bites.
Orion's eyes widened.

"But. The old Mr. O said we had to!", he gasped as if the idea of not using 'sir' was scandalous.

Otto chuckled.
"Orville, you mean? Yeah, he was a weirdo. But I'm cool with just Otto. Why aren't you out there having fun with the rest, by the way?"

Orion sadly turned to the platters of food on the table.

"Cooking duties, sir-I mean, Otto. Someone's gotta do it.", he sighed.

Otto swallowed the rest of his brownie and laughed.

"C'mon! It's a party! My party! Everyone's in it!", he shouted over the growing noise, reaching forward to grab Orion's arm.

He pulled him away from the table and dragged him into the crowd.
- - - - - - - - -
Olive hadn't expected a party. Especially one like this.

The lights had dimmed and were replaced by colorful moving beams and the glittering of a disco ball.
Everyone was dancing in their own way along to Soundcheck. Though the music would have normally irked her, Olive allowed herself to enjoy it just a teeny bit.
There was a single spotlight positioned in the middle of the floor. Brave agents were stepping up to the limelight to show off their moves.
After the boy performing 'The Worm' stepped away, Olive felt dozens of hands press against her back and push her towards the light.
"Ms. O! Ms. O! Ms. O!", they chanted. It wasn't long before the everyone joined in on the shouting.
"No! I don't dance!", Olive laughed nervously.
But the agents continued egging her on.
"I. Don't. Dance!", she shouted desperately.
"Not without me, you don't!", a voice shouted over the cheers.
Olive turned to her left to see Otto stumble our of the crowd.
He ran towards her and took her hands in his.
"Otto! What are you doing?!"
The tall boy grinned.
"Olive! It not everyday you get parties like this! A little fun never hurt anybody!"
"Actually-"
But she didn't finish. Olive felt herself be pulled into the light.
- - - - - - - - - -