~30~ A Wyrd Wednesday

Start from the beginning

"So do you think you are up to walking me to my locker, Mr. Devil?" May smiles slices.

"I think I might be able to manage that," I reply positively.

"Then let's do this thing, and have us a little adventure at little miss popular pod persona's expense." May stands up quite contritely and reaches out for my arm. "Because if I know my sister, when she realizes she lost track of time and of her Special Sister? She's going to lose even more of her cheer and maybe even freak the flock out a little. And that alone is worth the price of admission on our next little misadventure."

"Well, I think you already know my stance on Death by Misadventure." I laugh along lightly.

"I've always thought that misadventure had such a mysterious flavor to it?" She repeats my prophetic words with a wicked grin. "They say it's just a phase I'm going through? But I don't know, it just feels so right."

"Oh well, better luck next time." I heave up a sad sigh for her benefit.

"Exactly." She snorts in retort.

With that intonation, she graciously takes my arm again as we slow dance away from the shade of the lunch shelter and out into the sun. After weaving through the various flocks of Falcons towards the last pass gate, May finally flicks out her shark stick with a snap and starts to swing low and wide in slow graceful arcs. We approach the late pass gate to the interior of the school, only to find that the Late Lunch Gate is guarded by none other than my old foul friend and admirer, The Sleestak Queen.

"Well hello there, May Belle." The mean little church lady greets May pleasantly. But quickly turns sour as her reptilian bifocals slide down enough to give me the ol' nictitating once over. "And The Infamous, Mr. Dean."

"Hi Mrs. Saint C." May smiles back and starts explaining. "My sister got caught up with something and I need to go to my locker early, if you get my drift?"

"But of course, May Belle, anything you need dear." She unlatches the gate and holds it open for May to pass thru. "If you wish, I can have one of the lunch monitors walk you down dear."

"That's okay Mrs. Saint C. I think The Infamous Mr. Dean has escort duty covered for today." May beams brightly.

"Oh does he now?" The Sleestak Queen inquires dourly, as her cold scathing reptilian stare meets mine.

"Not a problem, it would be my honor." I bare my fangs back at the Sleestak Queen, just in case she is thinking about lunging for my jugular.

During my short time in the Valley of Death, I have learned that raisins like The Sleestak Queen love it when you speak their ancient tongue. I think it really makes them feel all relevant to reality again. Throw in a "ma'am" or "sir", and you can practically wish them well on their journey into the next life.

"So I see." She intones coldly. Then her dead eyes suddenly go wide, as she must have realized what she just said in front of a blind girl.

"Thank you, Mrs. Saint C." May singsongs pleasantly along as we walk thru the late pass gate and onto the empty grounds beyond. May smirks. "But don't let his beachy cool lifeguard looks fool you.The Infamous Mr. Dean is actually a pretty good guy, all things considered."

"Very well, May Belle, I'll have to take your word for that." The Sleestak Queen croaks back crocodilian. "And Mr. Dean, seeing that your such a good guy all things considered?  You will ensure May Belle arrives at her next class on time as well. Will you not?"

"Not I will." I nod nonce in passing through the gates of Hell.

"Oh yes, and after escorting May Belle to her class, you will then come to see me in the Main Office. In order to pick up your late pass back to class." She bares her sharp little yellowed fangs at me in a feral display of aggression. "Is that clear, Mr. Dean?"