Never Again Chapter 13

"Are you planning to check all the videos of Aoyama on the 22nd all by yourself?"  Chief Yagami asked, standing by L's side. I raised my head from the couch, munching on a pocky stick. Oh he's checking them already?

 "No, Naoki is supposed to check with me too." L looked pointedly at me. I puffed my cheeks, dragging a spare chair next to him and sat down. "It is very likely that Kira and the second Kira made contact on that day. Also, Mr Yagami." The said man nodded in acknowledgement. "I want you to ask Mogi to keep watch of Light. You too Naoki." I nodded. 

 "I understand." Soichiro replied, backing off to do his work. "So when does Ryuzaki ever sleep?" I heard Aizawa ask, making small talk with Matsuda at the back. "I saw him sleeping in that exact position the other day." Matsuda gossiped.

 I frowned, staring at L accusedly. "Didn't I tell you to sleep when you need to?" I asked. 

 "Oh! Her mother mode is on." Matsuda exclaimed. I turned around and shot him a look that said 'shut up'. L sighed, and said something totally unexpected. "Gomene." 

I widened my eyes, not knowing how to reply. I didn't think I've ever heard him apologise before, especially not to me. I handed him a pocky stick as a reward, which he accepted happily.

>..............................>

A few hours had passed and we found nothing special. I yawned, my eyes are actually crinkling when I blink from staring at the screen for too long.

 L looked at me. "You should go to bed."

 "No."  I refused stubbornly, crossing my arms. "But you told me to sleep when I needed to and you're not setting a good example."

 My eye twitched. There's something about the tone in his voice.... "I'll go to sleep when you do."

 He sighed, before switching his eyes to the screen again. "Do you really think the girl in Note Blue is the second Kira?" He asked after a minute of silence. I paused. "Well, unless she was some crazy fangirl who mistook him for a famous actor then yeah, I do think she could be." 

 He nodded. "Good. Then we will start focusing on her from now on. I will get private detectives to find out who she is."

<..........................................<

"Awwww."

"I knew this would happen."

 I moaned out something incoherent, nuzzling my head into the chair to get rid of the voices.

"Naoki wake up. You're going to be late for school." The last word got to me. I bolted up, now fully awake. What happened? I looked around me, seeing Aizawa and Matsuda staring at me like creeps, the chief standing next to me and L asleep on his chair. Oh. I sighed. "We fell asleep watching the videos didn't we." I asked rhetorically, running a hand down my face. The chief nodded, pulling me up. "Now go get ready. You only have 5 minutes." Bah 5 minutes? I could be done in three. But okay.

 I washed up in record time, slinging my bag over my shoulder with a piece of toast hanging from my mouth. The classic anime look. I took one last look at L, before walking over to him and setting him in a more comfortable position before heading out the door. 

"Please turn to page 394." The lecturer ordered, pointing his stick thing to the blackboard. We were seated at the lecture hall, and im next to the one and only Yagami. 

"Yagami kun.."

Takada, the snobby lady in my class said, trying to get his attention. I glanced at Light, seeing that he was spacing out. I raised an eyebrow. What was he thinking about? It's not like him to be out of it during a lecture. "You told me that you'd go out with me, right?" She asked. I decided to listen just for the sake of it. And I was starting to get tired of hearing the lecturer's voice. 

 "Yeah I did." My mouth dropped open in shock. Wasn't he dating Misa? "But you don't seem happy at all. You've been completely inattentive to me." Takada pouted. I glared into nothing. I hate cheaters. 

 "That's not true at all. I've been thinking about the  way everyone's going to be talking about us. To think that im going out with Takada, the famous Miss To-Oh University. It's obvious, you really are beautiful." I scoffed, gripping my pen tighter. Please, she is just average in my opinion. Her personality is disgusting. She cleared her throat, and at this moment I realised that they had been attracting a lot of attention. 

 "Please, don't call me miss whatever. Its embarrassing." 

 "Yeah, you're right-" 

 "Can you two shut up? We are in the middle of a lecture, if you hadn't noticed. Flirt elsewhere, don't do it here where people actually want to study." I had enough of him.

Talking so loudly in lecture and two-timing, who does he think he is? At that, the both of them closed their mouths, Takada not so discretely glaring at me. I glanced at Mogi out of the corner of my eye. He was seated at the far corner at the back, observing us. Hope he catches all of this. 

 Half an hour later

 The students piled out of the hall, keeping quiet so as to respect the teacher that was still inside. I held my books under my arm, keeping my distance from Mogi and Light.

 "Why so angsty?" Light asked, his hand clasped with Takada's. Should I tell her that he was already going out with someone? 

I rolled my eyes. "Because I hate cheetos." Pointedly glaring at him, I weaved my way through the crowd and out the door.