↯o n e↯

December 12, 2013
Arkham Asylum
12:30 p.m.

The clicking of the three-inch black heels echoed along hallways as she trekked her way down them, her lips red in their famous glow and her short, brown hair pulled back in was what seemed to be a pony tail. Looking at her clipboard the whole way down the corridors, she read with learning brown eyes.

Among her arrival at the door, the guards then began to search her down for anything that could be used as a weapon, and she eventually talked them down into letting her bring in her informing clipboard.

When the doors opened, a laughter enveloped her in what seemed to be comfort, and a small smile formed on her face but she wiped it off for the sake of getting her job done. "Be careful, doctor." One of the guards warned, and she looked back at him, giving a small nod before saying, "You've got nothing to worry about."

The lights then flickered on in the room, the guards cautiously closing the door behind the brave doctor who stalked towards the seat directly in front of the patient's bed, his laughter growing even more immense as she sat down.

"How are you this evening?" She asked, and his laughter stopped almost like someone flicked a switch and he shut off, slowly beginning to sit up, his face still hidden by the shadow of the room, but half of it coming into view from the small light above the table on the other side of the room. The doctor's eyes merely widened but she quickly regained herself.

"Oh, I've gotten better since you came to visit, baby." He said, his voice nearly making her heart flutter, although her brain told her 'get out of there as soon as you possibly can!'

She awkwardly cleared her throat, shaking her head as a small smile formed on her face. "You can't give me pet names, I'm your therapist, not your lover-" "-Oh, but I bet you a million you want to be. Who wouldn't love this face?" At that, he sat up fully, leaning off the edge of the bed so that the light hit every part of his grinning face.

Her lips slightly parted and she leaned back slightly in her chair, and he began to chuckle deeply. "Aren't I a beauty?" The doctor didn't reply, however she began jotting down the signs of his behaviors.

He watched her intently, his breathing getting heavier and heavier, his freakishly blue eyes running over every edge of her face. "Stop staring at me like that." She stated, and he began to chuckle. "How can I? You're very pretty." At that, she looked up at him with a quirked eyebrow and a shaking head.

"I am not."

"Are, too."

She heaved a playful sigh as she looked up from her clipboard, seeing an almost handsome smile adorning his face. "And shall there be a name to know this very pretty face by?" He asked, his head tilting upwards with a sickening smile.

"To you, I'm your therapist. Dr. Harlock." She sassed.

"But you have the potential to be so much more." He argued. "I bet your first name is a real catch. Let me guess, it starts with an H to contrast to your last name." He said, and she slightly smiled.

"You hit the buzzer there." She said, and he smiled.

"Well, come on," He stated, nodding his head to gesture for her to carry on. To continue. "What is your name?"

"The real question is, what is yours?" The doctor asked, and at that, his whole demeanor changed and his face hardened, no smile coming from him any longer.

"Joker." "Your real name." She scorned, her eyes burning into him, nearly unsettling him but he looked away.

"My father took me to the circus once," He started, changing the subject as she pursed her lips, deciding to get his name out of him later.

"There were exotic animals of every sort, people swinging from one rope to another. Clowns with big, red, squeaking noses and water-throwing flowers on their suits. Tigers jumping through fire-blazing hoops. Everything I'd ever imagine a circus to be like." He said, now having the doctor under his full attention.

"Well, my father was a very serious man. Never smiled, never smiled. I was about 9 and he took me as I had begged him to, and we had a splendid time. The clown stepped out onto the stage, and made us all laugh. I've never seen my ol' dad smile so big." He said happily, making the doctor that was listening smile slightly.

"The clown, well, he reminded me a lot of how I am today. He was funny, oh, very funny. My dad laughed so hard I could have sworn he got high from all of it. The show was coming close to it's extravagant end, and the clown made its big debut! From behind him, there were people with strings attached to his pants, and when the music came to its end, the pants dropped and the crowd went wild. And my dad. My dad, he," He paused, beginning to laugh so hard that the doctor began to laugh with him.

His contagious laughter spread all about her and she couldn't hold it in any longer, so she let it out. The two laughed in almost triumph for nearly a minute, before his laughter stopped as if the switch was cut off again, causing the doctor to stop her own laughter in confusion.

"And then he broke my nose." Her smile faltered as his own eyes grew watery, his smile now a frown on his face as all she felt was sympathy for the man ahead of her.

"Wow, I'm so sorry." "Not your fault, it's all my own. That's what he'd say to me constantly. Everything was my fault, but ironically, everything was." He started chuckling again and the doctor helplessly looked at her watch on her wrist, taking a stand from the chair as he watched her with almost saddened eyes.

"I better get going, I've got other patients. But I'll be back tomorrow, same time." She said, and he looked at her with big, blue eyes. "If I'm a good boy tomorrow can I get a pudding cup?" He asked, and she smiled.

"I'll tell you what," She said, clutching her clipboard to her chest as a smile formed on her face. "If you feel obliged to tell me what to call you, I'll bring you two." She bribed, and his eyes lightened up. "Two, you say?" He asked in almost disbelief and she nodded with a smile.

He sighed heavily, his eyes looking at the ground as he pondered if she was worthy of knowing his name. She began walking towards the door with a small smile before she heard a frantic voice behind her.

"Wait," He said, and she stopped in her tracks, her ears listening expectantly.

"Call me J." He whispered, and she nodded. "Well, alright, Mr. J," She joked, causing a smile to grow across his face at the new nickname. "I'll see you tomorrow."