23| I'm sorry.

•A/N: Make yourself a snack, get something to drink and plant your beautiful asses on the couch/bed/ground and get ready for the last chapter of The Ground. It has been an amazing journey and in the note I posted right after this chapter, you'll read a big thank you and the reveal of book two. Make sure to read it!

Song: Crossfire by Stephan.

---

Drums echoed through the woods as the Grounders made their way towards the battlefield.

All the delinquents listened carefully. Some had frightened looks on their face, not knowing if it was their last day today but it didn't kept them from fighting. They grabbed their weapons tighter and did their last prayers before they waited for the war.

"They're here." Octavia said from the tree she was hiding in. Scarlett heard her clearly and looked as far as she could into the woods.

"I see them." A voice was heard from beside Scarlett. She turned that way, noticing Sterling and Monroe sitting there with a walkie. "They're moving!" Sterling shouted, half through the walkie and half for the people around him.

Scarlett her head shot back to the direction of the woods, indeed seeing Grounders running back and forth. She would've laughed the sight, which she did, silently.

"I count two, three, no, wait, there's more." Sterling said again, trying to count the moving Grounders but he failed. "I don't know, man. There's too many of them." He cried out, starting to shoot at them.

Scarlett jumped slightly, startled by the sound but she recovered fast, positioning back in place. Her eyes furrowed together as she saw what they were doing.

"South foxhole. South foxhole, report now." A voice cracked through the walkie. Bellamy his voice.

"Sterling!" Scarlett whisper yelled, catching his attention. "Hand me the damn walkie."

Sterling nodded, handing her the walkie. She pushed in the button, starting to talk.

"Bellamy. We're okay." She breathed out.

"Scar, love." He said, a smile heard in his voice. "What happend?"

"Sterling. He started shooting at the Grounders but it's like shooting at ghosts, but that's the thing, that's what the want. They aren't attacking." She informed him, hearing a gunshot from the other side of the camp. "Tell them to stop shooting, they're waisting the bullets!"

"Fuck." She heard him say. The gunshots stopped, Scarlett assumed he told them.

"Sterling, don't shoot. It's an distraction." She told him, handing the walkie back. "If Bellamy asks, I'm keeping an eye out."

Sterling gave her thumbs up and turned back to the walkie. Scarlett tuned out the talking and watched every step that the Grounders made, carefully. As soon as they started to move closer, she would be ready to attack.

A loud explosion was heard.

"The mines. They actually worked." Scarlett said, a proud grin on her face.

"I would of hugged you but I'm kind of in a tree now." Octavia told her. Scarlett let out a laugh, understanding what she said. Her laugh faded away quickly as soon as she heard a battle cry and saw the Grounders coming their way.

"They are attacking!" She shouted at the top of her lungs, warning everyone on their side.

As she watched a Grounder come closer and closer untill he stood so close that Scarlett attacked. She kicked his spear out of his hands and plunged her knife in his neck, pulling it out again.