Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

The trip from Central to Western Kell, by horse, would typically take an average of three days. Their fastest horse, the northern Farogest, could make it in two, but only carrying one rider. Eadwynn was supervising the preparation of their small convoy when Gabrielle and Deorwynn approached the stables. A cool wind pushed in from the west, caressing the fields of heavy chey. The long stalks of grain swayed slowly in the breeze, appearing transformed into a sea at sunset.

“I hope you brought what you need,” Eadwynn said, not looking up from a small, woven bag she was tying. “We’re leaving directly.”

“Sister,” Deorwynn pleaded, knowing her argument was futile but trying one last time nonetheless. An apprentice had delivered the message of survivors through a Mioglasi, but this was apparently of no consequence to Eadwynn. “It will take days to reach the remains of the castle by horse. Won’t you please allow us to step through and assess the situation?”

Eadwynn said nothing.

“It could mean the difference between life and death,” Gabrielle added, unnecessarily.

“The glass art has been the cause of death for our people for countless generations,” the High Queen said softly, but with passion. “I will never again put a single person in jeopardy as the result of Glassmagery. Now, if you’re not going to help, then step out of the way so we can complete our preparations.”

Doros, who was just then securing a worn, yet well-made saddle, gave both Deorwynn and Gabrielle a sidelong glance. It was too difficult to determine where his allegiance rested simply by his eyes, so they turned and moved to the rear of the long structure.

“What will she do when she discovers we’ve gone against her?” Gabrielle asked.

Deorwynn shook her head sadly. “Who knows? She’s already disbanded the Glassmage Apprenticeship. All the work we’ve done with those talented women will be lost…”

Stepping around a fallen hay bale, listening to the muffled sound of hidden kittens inside the stable to their left, Gabrielle asked, “Will you be coming with me?”

Deorwynn took her hand. “Of course, dear one. We are in this together. Now let’s do what we can for your sister and the others.”

Turning, making sure they were alone, Gabrielle set to the task of drawing enough sand from the soil rich earth around them. Discovering a dried up stream not far away made it a little easier. With speed and grace, she formed a Mioglasi wide enough for them to comfortably step through side by side.

*     *     *

A milling mass of people had gathered before the ruin of the castle. When the crowd recognized Deorwynn and then Gabrielle, they parted and hurried them toward the front.

Kneeling on the ground was the familiar form of Mother Heaton. She glanced up, then stood quickly with a shocked look on her face.

“My Queen!” she babbled, “Princess! I didn’t… expect you for days! How did you—?”

But the woman knew exactly how they’d arrived so soon. The look of horror on her face said it all.

Rather than try to explain, Deorwynn said, “Mother Heaton, I’m so glad you’re here. Please, tell me what’s happening.”

“Of course! Well, you see, my youngest son has been keeping watch up here. No birds, of course. Oh, I’m so sorry to hear about the Eastern Castle, my Queen! So very, very sorry…”

“Thank you,” Deorwynn said patiently. “Go on, please.”

“Well, Leyden, that’s my grandson, he heard someone calling out the other day. Didn’t know where it was coming from. Sound travels strange up here. Anyway, he kept listening and found this.”