The Fifth Mission

Milo Burgess sat at the head of a large, dark wood table in an even larger, elegant room. The walls were white and silver, the windows set into them showing Addiphate, silver and clear, in the distance. The table was long, the wood shining as it reflected the light from the chandelier that hung above it. The table was set in the middle of the room, begging to be the center of attention. It was.

Milo was facing the doors, a tall pair of black ones, towering over his head like giant gods. They no longer made him feel small.

His hands were folded on the table, the cuffs of his white uniform rolled just above his wrists, clean pressed and perfectly aligned. He hadn't argued when they gave it to him. It made him feel important and official. His feet tapped the floor in a regular rhythm, idly. They weren't really ones to keep him waiting, so what was taking so long?

Another few minutes passed and finally Milo stood and started pacing around the room. Finally, the door opened and Collin Ardent and Tracey Malton stepped into the room.

"You're late," Milo said, taking his place at the table once more. Ardent and Malton followed suit.

"Sorry about that, Milo. We were just finishing a few things. So, how'd the mission go?"

Milo put his chin in his hand. "I don't think you can call that a mission. All I did was help a few guys check some ships in. Everything checked out. They weren't there."

"You're positive of that?"

"Yeah, I'm positive. Besides, Everett and Simmons were both there, and they know the Nightjar better than I do."

"You're right, I suppose," Tracey said, sweeping her long blonde hair behind her shoulder. She wasn't wearing it up the way she usually did.

"And anyway, they didn't leave Earth until a lot later than the rest of these ships. And we still don't know if they survived."

"But if they did, we need to be prepared. We have people at every checkpoint watching for the ship. If they dare to come even close to one, they're as good as caught."

"Remember your promise," Milo said. "No one gets hurt."

"We never promised no one would get hurt. If they fight back, pain will be inevitable." Milo glanced at his foot briefly then closed his eyes.

"Fine. But they'll survive?"

"Yes."

"Good. So I know you didn't just come to talk to me about that last 'mission', if you can even call it that."

"You may be an important kid here right now, but don't forget who you're talking to."

"I haven't forgotten. You're the man who took me hostage, starved me and shot me when I refused to cooperate."

"And look at you now," Tracey interjected. "Doing your duty without complaining. You know we're right. And you know we'll keep good on our word."

"I'm well aware of that, ma'am."

"Good. The International Space Association is here for your safety. We only do what's right for the people of this universe. Remember that."

"I always do, ma'am."

"Soon, this will all be over and you'll be free to go to Addiphate. You said your family was there, right?"

"Yeah, I did. They probably passed through this checkpoint a few days ago."