Chapter 19

Today we got an appointment with the doctor to find out the pros and cons about this procedure. I was nervous. I didn't know if I made the right choice or not, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go through with this anymore.

At around 1:30, my mother yelled from somewhere in the house that it was time to go, so I got up and started to slowly make my way to the front door with a hand on the wall.

Once I got there I grabbed the door handle but was surprised when a voice spoke from the now open door.

"Didn't think I'd let you go alone now, did you?" A voice, that belonged to Aaron spoke. I smiled and leaned toward his direction hugging him with a grin on my face.

"Thanks for coming," I muttered, into what I think was either his shoulder or neck when I heard car keys jingle behind me.

"Ready to go kids?" My mothers voice spoke and I just nodded against Aaron's shoulder-neck. Aaron chuckled.

"Ruby, I hate to say this, but you have to let go," Aaron said and I shook my head. "Why not?" He asked.

"Carry me?" I asked in a baby voice. Aaron chuckled and lifted me up. I wrapped my legs around, what felt like, his waist and he gripped my thighs as he started moving towards what I'm guessing is the car.

I also could've sworn I heard my mother muttering something along the lines of 'they'd be so cute together...'

---------------------------

When the car finally stopped moving, I waited for Aaron to come and help me get out and find my way. I should've brought my cane, I thought.

Aaron finally opened the door and grabbed my hand, gently pulling my arm telling me to get out of the car. I did just that and let him lead me behind my mothers foot steps.

I tried so hard to look normal while we were walking through a hospital with people roaming about, but it was so hard with people gasping and whispering about your eyes, but it's also especially hard when there's nothing for you to focus on in a sea of black.

My mothers footsteps finally silenced and Aaron also stopped moving so I assumed we had arrived in the doctors office. I could feel Aaron's breath fan over my ear as he softly told me to sit down. I did as he said and sat in a low chair. A man's voice finally spoke out.

"Ruby, right?" I just nodded. "I'm Doctor Seals." I nodded and I felt someone grab my limp hand off the chair and shake it. "I almost forgot your condition, my apologies, Ruby," the doctor spoke. I nodded again.

"We'd like to know about the procedure," my mother prompted in a polite tone. I looked in her direction then back in the doctor's direction when he spoke again.

"Ah, yes. Well the pros are that she will gain sight again. The cons are that 80% of the time after doing this procedure, the patients are able to see, but are color blind. So only black and white. The other 20% go through this procedure with shining colors. We hope that Ruby will be in those 20%, but we cannot promise you that," the doctor finished. I sat there thinking about it. I'd still get my ability of sight back.

"I'll do it."

--------------------------

A week later I was back at the hospital, but this time Anna came with also. The  receptionist finally called my name.

"The doctor also told me that he had forgotten to mention the amount of time this procedure takes. It takes about three hours so not too long, but long enough to run an errand or two," the receptionist added. I could feel someone grip my hand and softly tug on my arm telling me to follow them.

"Don't worry, I'll be here when you're done," Aaron whispered into my ear. I smiled. The last thing I remember is him lifting me up onto a bed, then a sharp pinch in my arm, then my senses dulling.