Chapter 11

I never thought things could get more awkward. Sitting here in the hospital was not supposed to turn out like this. Finally someone cleared their throat.

"Ruby, can I talk to you?" My father's voice spoke. I tensed.

"Sure," then I felt my father, I'm guessing, grab my arm and lead me somewhere.

"I'm sorry," were the first words he said. "I meant to come back, I really did, but I was consumed by grief. Believe me when I say it's been har-" that's when I exploded.

"You think it's been hard on you?! What about me? You're not the one that's blind, you're not the one that wakes up every morning hearing their family downstairs like normal, but when you get down there suddenly it's like everyone thinks you're glass! You're not the one that was left broken hearted, no! Mom, Garrett and I were. You have it easy, and they call me blind," I said harshly and used my cane to find my way back.

---------------------------------------------

I must've fallen asleep at some point for I woke to someone shaking me.

"The doctor has news," my mother whispered to me and suddenly I was wide awake looking for the doctor, or anyone for that matter, but remembered I was blind. I guess I should be used to it by now, but I guess I just keep hoping that one day when I wake up I'll be able to see again.

"Aaron Scott made it out of the surgery without any complications and is now in an hospital induced coma. Only time will tell when he wakes up, but I'm sure it'll be soon," I couldn't tell if he was lying or not for his voice was so monotone it sounded as if he has done this too many times now. I wanted to cry, but I knew this was not the time for self pity.

"What room is he in?" I asked.

"Room 207," he answered and then I heard his foot steps retreat.

"Mom, do me a favor and lead me there," I whispered and then I was being lead to the room.