Chapter 4: In the Belly of the Beast

The Guardian of the Zoras, Jabu-Jabu, was in great danger; more so than Link had remembered from his last encounter. To think, that a fish of such power could fall victim so easily. Nonetheless, Link knew that he had to do what he could because not only were the Zoras in trouble, his friends needed help as well.

Kaepora Gaebora dropped both Link and Saria off just in front of the great fish's maw. The size was just as massive as he remembered. Link looked up to see the old owl fly off into the distance. He then looked over to Saria who had the proper reaction of being a bit nervous. The fish acknowledged their arrival and began to open its mouth. The two walked in with just a little hesitation. Though Link knew what to expect, the fact that they were entering a giant fish was still a disturbing thought.

Inside wasn't quite as large as Link remembered but it was still roomy. Unlike his last visit however, Link had felt that something was a bit off. The fleshy walls had a look of decay. Some areas were even dissolving right in front of their eyes. The two quickly made their way through what appeared to be a door ahead and the site of the next area only sickened them. Not only were the fleshy walls dissolving much faster, the floor had pools of what appeared to be acid. It was then that scream could be heard a little further in.

As the two made their way around the acid pools, a giant Octorok fell through a whole that was above them. Without hesitation, it began rampaging around the room. The random directions made it near impossible to find the perfect time to attack. Hoping that the Master Sword would do some damage, Link drew power to his blade and released the energy as it drew close to him.

The attack was far from damaging but it gave Link quite the advantage. It knocked the monster on its side, allowing Link enough time to bring power to the sword once more and drive it deep into its underbelly. The battle was quick but didn't allow for celebration as the screams were still present. Link and Saria moved on in the hopes that they weren't too late.

The next room, which was their final destination, was quite large. At the end of the room, both Nabooru and Zad were tied to the fleshy walls by jellyfish-like creatures. Every now and then, the jellyfish would send shocks through their bodies; causing them to scream and writhe in extreme pain. The two looked around the room and finally found a large bit of flesh that resembled a tumor, on the ceiling. Tentacles sprang forth from it as soon as it became aware of Link and Saria's presence. Ten tentacles surrounded the creature; each of which were lashing out with such ferocity.

Link and Saria dodged and watched on as the creature continued to torture the two stuck to the wall. Their screams echoing off the rotting flesh. Something felt off to him about this creature. The last time he had faced him, it had no real direction. It was just a mindless creature feeding off its home. However, this time, the beast was acting on orders. Just like Gohma, Barinade was under the control of Phantom Ganon. It was the only explanation Link could come to as he drew his sword and drew power to his blade.

The creature let out a howl as Link released a well-aimed light beam that completely detached it from the ceiling, also causing it to lose its grip on Zad and Nabooru. The two fell to the ground unable to move from the paralyzing shocks. Saria saw an opportunity to draw her bow and shoot an arrow clean through; weakening it further.

Seeing that it was his turn, Link drew power to his blade once again and hopped onto the wounded Barinade. Raising his sword high into the air, he prepared himself for the final blow, only to be interrupted by the vigorous shaking of Jabu-Jabu. The now free Barinade made a quick escape straight back out of the mouth. With every bit of strength they had, Link and Saria dragged the two back out with them.

Outside was more gruesome than inside. Barinade had made its home on top of the fish god. Tentacles were weaving in and out of its body as blood was flowing from his wounds. The cries could be heard throughout the whole land of Hyrule. After making sure his friends were okay, Link stood in front of the now dying fish and clenched his fists.

"This world is a beautiful place. Why follow the orders of someone that will surely destroy you later anyway?"

The Master Sword began to shine. This glow wasn't just brighter; it was also a golden color. The blade sparkled with the pure light as Link looked at it. He then heard a faint voice in his mind.

"Let me help you one last time master."

The voice had vanished and with a tear in his eye, he pointed the Master Sword to Barinade. It was as if he knew what to do. He leapt high into the air and made a downward strike as he fell closer to his enemy. A blinding light filled not just the immediate area, but high in the sky as well. When everyone could see again, Link and Saria looked with a bit of shock. Barinade was nowhere to be seen and Jabu-Jabu looked to be completely healed.

"Thank you kindly. I was not aware that the Master Sword was also home to the power of the Goddess Sword."

Link stood tall as he faced the god of the waters and protector of the Zoras.

"I'm guessing that you also have memories of another future?"

The giant fish nodded in the water.

"Hero of Time...you have touched many lives, made an impact on each and every one, and in doing so, put them at risk. The Phantom born of the Demon King intends to destroy you from the inside first. His goals are the same as Ganon himself. I must warn you Hero; this being is not one we know much about. His powers may have come from Ganon, but what he gained while in exile is unknown. I implore you to ask for aid of the Great Fairies that are scattered across these lands. It won't be much, but it should help. May the Goddesses watch and protect you."

Without giving Link a chance to speak, Jabu-Jabu disappeared in a whirlpool that formed underneath him. Once gone, water began flowing out from the pool he once inhabited; restoring the rivers flow and reviving Zora's Domain.

Nabooru awoke to Zad, Link, and Saria waiting around her. She sat up and noticed they were somewhere safe.

"What happened?"

Link and Saria looked at each other, not knowing how to explain what they had done but Link just gave her the simplest of explanations.

"Saria and I saved you and Zad."

Nabooru looked at both and cracked a large smile.

"I can't believe the current leader of the Gerudo needed saving."

Her smile quickly faded and her head started to droop.

"Did you at least restore the Zoras' home?"

Link grabbed her hand and yanked her out of the room they had been using to recover. The sight that revealed itself to her as she took her first steps out made her happy once again.

"With those memories of yours, do you see me as one to leave things in a bad condition?"

She turned and gave Link a giant hug, not realizing it's not her usual character.

"Never had I seen someone suffer so much. We thieves learn to thrive in lands that could potentially kill us if we aren't careful. We have a chance at survival unlike the Zora's. They mainly live in the water. It was cruel and no one should have to go through what they did."

"The King would like to have a word with you and your party."

A tall Zora waited for them to finish their moment before gathering the other two and escorting them to the throne room. It wasn't big but it had a Royal feel to it. A large upright fish sat waiting for their arrival.

"The King of the Zora's has a special message for you all. Pay your respects with silence and you will then be escorted back the Hyrule."

"Now, now; there's no need to be so formal. They did save us from death. I think we can be a little open with them."

A hearty laugh filled the chamber as the guard looked down in embarrassment.

"Link, I knew that you would come. You always show up when you are needed most. I want to thank you not only for saving us but Jabu-Jabu as well. There is a strange evil covering these lands and no one is safe."

"Sir, if I may ask, did anyone come by seeking anything?"

"What an odd question to ask but sorry young one. No one has been around besides your friend and my son."

Link, Saria, and Nabooru backed away in shock. They all seemed to scream the same thought in unison.

"SON?"