Chapter 3: A Book, a Key, and a Secret

A town nearly in shambles, Kakariko village still stood after an onslaught from the undead. The town that housed the protectors of the Hylian family proved it was just as strong as its denizens were. Just as quickly as most of the buildings toppled, the townsfolk had been working hard to rebuild their home.

The first to be completed was Impa's. The home not only housed the guardian of the princess, it also housed very valuable information regarding the past of both the Hylian family and the whole land of Hyrule; including the long forgotten tales of treasures left by the Goddesses. If you wanted to find an object that could help destroy evil, Kakariko should be your first stop. As for Saria, who was still new to the world outside of the forest, she didn't know what to expect on this trip. The last time she had visited, they were attacked and had to fight the undead. This time, however, things were much more peaceful aside from the construction that was still going on.

Although not much of a difference in terms of the building styles, everything that had been looked nearly the same. Saria made her way up to Impa's home to search for some answers; preferably an answer that didn't raise another question.

Saria crept up to the new building; shocked at how quickly things have been rebuilt. The door was open and Impa was seen getting things in back to the way they were before the attack.

"Come in, child."

Saria only hesitated a moment before entering.

"I was expecting the Hero but I take it he was the one who sent you?"

"Yes. I am doing what I can to help Link in his journey."

Impa climbed up a ladder to grab a large, slightly burned book. The cover had makings of both the Goddesses and the Royal Family. With dark-brown leather, it would have looked like a normal book amongst the others.

"I can tell the Hero wants help finding an item. I can also tell he has not been told about the book that empowers the rings that the Goddesses bestow upon the Hero. I may be a guardian of the Royal Family, but I know when one is in need of help. Spending time around the Princess has given me the ability to sense what people are thinking."

"You're right. Where is the book and what does he have to do?"

Impa slammed the book on the rickety table. She opened the book to a page that showed a priest holding a book while praying to the three Goddesses. Just underneath was a light shining on three rings.

"The book can be found inside the temple that is in the graveyard just behind the village. The key, however, was given to the Gorons to be kept safe. Where they hid the key is information only the proud tribe of the mountain knows."

"So you're saying I have to climb a mountain before I can get the book?"

Nearly out of breath, Link walked into the house and took a seat at the table. Impa closed the book and returned it to the shelf only to grab another.

"There is but one thing the Goron's love more than their pride and that is their food source. I would guess that it would be in a cavern they use. Do not take these words to heart as I am only taking a guess. This book will help you see the chief of their tribe. It will prove that you were sent from a Royal Guard. Before you go, I must warn you not to open that book. It is for Sheikah tribe member's eyes only. Just the book itself will be enough to acknowledge your importance."

"Don't worry. The secrets of the book will remain just that."

Link looked to Saria with such a serious look.

"I may need your help. Just promise me that you won't do anything too dangerous."

Saria looked at him and smiled. She felt happy that she was needed and that she could help.