Chapter 19 - Caught in the Middle

Start from the beginning

"Stiles," I said. He flattened his lips and looked away. I turned his head back with a swift movement of my hand. "Stiles, look at me."

His eyes finally met mine. I raised my eyebrows, trying to get him to tell me what was wrong. His face faltered, his eyes searching from wall to wall again. He let out another sigh as his gaze fell upon mine.

"I just...I just wanted to be the hero for once." He hung his head. 

I lifted his chin with my middle and index fingers, bringing his lips dangerously close to mine. "You're only a Robin if you choose to be."

The corners of his mouth twitched, trying their best to form a smile. He grabbed my hand from underneath his chin, lacing his fingers through it. He cupped my cheek with his other. We were less than an inch apart. Even though we've kissed plenty since that first time in his jeep, I was still excited and anxious for his lips to touch mine again. Nothing in this world can compare to kissing Stiles, even though it sounds cliche.

"State! State! State!" A lacrosse player chanted in our faces, jumping by us. Talk about a mood-killer. Stiles and I laughed anyways. I rested my forehead on his chest for a brief moment, feeling it fall and rise due to his chuckles. 

"We should find Scott," he said, a smile still etched on the lips I wish I had just kissed. I nodded, it was the reason we were here anyways. 

Still hand in hand, we continued down the hallway until we reached the locker room door. I froze and took in a sharp breath. Stiles looked over at me with concern. Something immediately felt off. I could hear a rapid heartbeat from behind the door.

Stiles pushed the wooden barrier open, it creaking as it cleared our entry. "Scott?" Stiles called out, no response. We stepped further into the room. I could feel my hand becoming sweaty, nearly slipping out of Stiles' grip.

Then we heard grunts and moans of pain from the other end of the locker room. I didn't hesitate a moment to run to the source of the sound. Scott was laying on the floor of the showers, his body twitching in pain.

"Scott! Scott!" I yelled, hurrying to his aid. I knelt down beside him and flattened him out on his back. Blood was dripping from the back of his neck and down the drain, mixing with the running water from the shower head. 

Finally, his body ceased it's rapid movements. He sat up, out of breath, and rubbed the back of his neck. No blood covered his hand when he held it back in front of him. His eyes glanced from Stiles and back to me.

"Um, Scott, we have a major problem," said Stiles.

"Trust me," said Scott, pressing his lips together. "I know,"

 ☼ 

"Are we seriously following him? It's not our responsibility to be his bodyguards." I said from the all-too familiar backseat of Stiles' jeep. Scott had insisted that we keep an eye on Jackson since the Argents now how if it their heads that he's the second beta. 

"I have to do something," said Scott, searching out the window for any sign of Jackson's Porsche.

I huffed and sat back in my seat, folding my arms across my chest. Scott had informed Stiles and me that Jackson gave him three days to get him the bite. This angered me more than I expected. He has no idea what it can do to you. The bite can strip you of your humanity, taking every last piece of what's left of your human soul. Jackson doesn't have much to start with.

Then I thought about what happened in the video store. He pushed me out of the way of the falling shelves. It still surprises me that he didn't just save himself. Hell, maybe there is something good left inside of him. Though I doubt it's enough to keep him somewhat human after becoming a werewolf.