━━━━━━━━

Jeffrey's eyes opened as a slight headache began to take its toll on him.

He sat up on the nest, pulling his tail to himself. He'd laid down with only the intention of relaxing but had somehow fallen into sleep.

He sighed to himself, running a hand through his blonde locks before getting out of the nest. He needed to get some things from the marketplace. In the midst of all his problems he still had to take out time to look after himself.

He picked up the skin waist bag that Yanus had gifted him early into his stay here. Jeffrey had stocked it with things like small stone knifes to the varying shells merpeople used as a medium of exchange alongside still trading by barter.

Swimming out of his dwelling, Jeffrey greeted people as he passed by them, stopping for a short casual conversation once in a while before continuing on his journey.

The marketplace wasn't far and Jeffrey was soon there. He made a mental note of what he was there for in other not to be swayed to buy anything else. The merpeople that practiced trade were highly persuasive, but what else was to be expected of people that had been specially handpicked to perform the task.

Jeffrey was through the market, trying to ignore the calls from traders. He was there for a new blade and a container to store food, but he was having a hard time reminding himself that. His eyes sometimes betrayed him by taking a look at the jewelry and luxury stands. Sometimes the traders would catch him staring and beacon to him. He would look away, quite startled, before swimming away.

He blinked when his eyes caught sight of Aquas at a stand. He was taking a look at the decorative bangles the merwoman at the other end was showcasing to him.

"This one's all the way from Atlantis. It's pure gold too," the woman chatted animatedly as Aquas picked up the bangle for closer examination.

He smiled. The pretty thing was decorated with engraved rubies at the side. The craftsmanship of it all just made him want it all the more.

"How much is it?" Aquas asked, looking over at the woman.

"I'll let you have it for fifty," she said, rubbing her chin with her fingers as she gave Aquas a smile. The young merman shook his head at that. It was too expensive, and the small allowance the council gave to people of age who were without duty couldn't cover it.

"I guess I can't get it then, it's mighty expensive," Aquas muttered with a weak smile.

"I'll pay," Aquas heard someone say, turning to find Jeffrey behind him. Jeffrey swam to his side, fishing out a hand full of shells from his waist bag and began to count. The woman handed Aquas the band when she and Jeffrey settled, turning to put the money away.

"You didn't have to do that..." Aquas trailed as Jeffrey turned to his side to look at him.

"I wanted to," he muttered, making the younger merman pale considerably. Merpeople paled instead of reddened like humans when embarrassed or flustered. Jeffrey just loved putting the look on Aquas. He felt it suited him.

"It was a lot of money," Aquas pointed out, twirling the bangle slowly between his fingers as he looked down at the ocean floor.

"I know," Jeffrey said with a sigh as he folded his hands over his bare chest. "I guess I'll have to manage the blunt blade I have at the moment until I get some more money."

Aquas let out a small chuckle. "You forfeited buying a much-needed blade to purchase a vain jewelry piece?" he asked, watching as a small smile formed on Jeffrey's lips.

"Yes, but it's your vain jewelry piece," Jeffrey said in defense, making Aquas pale.

"Thank you," Aquas muttered, slipping the bangle through his hand and onto his wrist. He shook his hand a bit, admiring how good it looked.

"It's beautiful," Jeffrey said as they swam away from the stand and through the market together. Aquas didn't reply to that. His mind was rather hazed with his thoughts and he wasn't sure of what to say.

As they stopped at a stall for Jeffrey to buy the food container he'd wanted to, Aquas took a good look at the merman. He couldn't deny that Jeffrey was handsome... He was also rather sweet.

Aquas' face paled again when Jeffrey turned to face him after making the purchase. Aquas wasn't sure why that was happening a lot lately. Well, he had a good guess.

I like him. Aquas admitted to himself in his mind. The idea was hard to wrap his head around considering they hadn't known each other for too long. But he knew it was true, and it was a nice feeling.

I really like him. He thought again as Jeffrey took his hand in his as they proceeded to leave like it was the most natural thing in the world.