47. The Amateur Thief

The next few days go by in a blur, and by the morning of the fifth, the whole school could very easily notice that the infamous Marauders have gotten uncharacteristically quiet.

"Remus eat." I order, forcing a slice of toast onto his plate and pushing his untouched bacon aside. I don't eat the meat myself, since mum never made it, but instead rather enjoy hash browns.

"Not hungry."

James pulls away the book Remus attempts to hide behind instead of eating, "You've got bags under your eyes, you need energy to stay up the whole day."

"I slept perfectly well thank you." He lies. Of course I know, Peter told me this morning that he couldn't sleep because his joints were aching.

"Well we have free periods after lunch, so try to get some sleep then." Sirius ignores Lupin's last comment, devouring his bagel.

First class is Transfiguration, and I spend the class gossiping with the girls, who are engrossed in the little fact that Lily has let slip.

"And I thought Fortescue would be the first to get it together." Emmeline gapes, which is met by Alice slapping her arm.

"So, Remus Lupin eh?" Marlene wriggles her eyebrows, "Two nerds together at last. Just don't do too much late night revision."

"You're callus Mar." I hit my head on the table, which makes the mouse I transfigured into a teacup squeal.

"You think Sirius is single?"

"Oh Marlene, don't even think about it." Lily laughs.

"I thought James was your thing, not Black." Marlene snorts, immediately receiving a spark from Lily's wand that hits her square on the nose.

*

Runes goes quickly without anyone to speak to, and I find my mind wandering to what will happen tonight. Remus is going to go through hours of pain only to tear at himself with no-one for comfort. The boys said that they had a way to help, but they won't say what. They told me to come with medical supplies around daybreak if I really wanted to help.

I make my way towards the great hall for lunch trying to get through a bunch of younger students who are annoyingly taller than myself. In the midst of the crowd a cold hand grabs my forearm, "Excuse me, Miss Novak?"

I turn to see steel grey eyes that I have to remind myself are not Sirius', but in fact his brother's, the only difference between the two boys being Regulus' shorter, tidier hair, and the blue flecks dotting his irises, "Regulus."

Even though he seems to have forgotten that day, the images of him trying to push away Snape seem to come alive in my mind again, and I feel numb as he pulls me to the side, "Is my brother alright? Are you?"

"I...what? Oh yeah," I gather my senses once again, "why d'you ask?"

"My mother was saying something about your family, that your dad was going to be... hunted down." He whispers, as though someone might hear.

I look down at my shoes, trying not to look at his face, "I know."

"I-I just wanted to say," he fumbles with his words, "I'm looking after Miriam. She'll be safe."

"Thanks," I force a smile, "I should go now."

"You'll give this to my brother?" Regulus almost pleads, forcing a small vial and a folded piece of parchment in my hand.

In the second my eyes meet his, I see a frightened boy, not a fighter, not a supremist. A boy that just needs comfort, "Of course."

He gives me a small smile before turning the other way, almost instantly disappearing among the crowds of students. I hold on tightly to the vial, scanning down the benches until I find the boys.