10. It's A Riddikulus Start

"It will go down in history!" The common room door slides open, followed by the very loud voice of one Sirius Black, "The greatest duel the world has ever seen!"

Lily, with a dramatic sigh, hits her head on the potions textbook on her lap, "Bloody distractions they are."

"Careful, you're gonna break the book there Evans." I grin, which is only met by a somewhat scary glare.

"Just ask anyone here," Sirius has an arm around a Slythern girl, who looks like she's about to faint. I'm not even going to question why there's a group of friends huddled around Black while he's telling his story, "they'll tell you Lupin and I, we're formidable duellers."

At this, I look over to the group, who've clustered around the table in the corner, kind of interested at the bullshit Black is making up. James is leaning against the wall, in silent hysterics, while Lupin is squashed between Sirius and a Ravenclaw fifth year who seems rather interested in him. By the look he has on his face, the interest of the Ravenclaw is unrequited. Lily whispers, "Formidable duellers, my arse."

"You've got to admit Lily, they're great storytellers." I laugh, and she cracks a smile.

"They're idiots nonetheless."

I turn back to my Ancient Runes textbook with a sigh, "Well, I have a feeling we're gonna have to get used to their ramblings."

"Oh crap!"

"What?" I jump as Lily slams her book shut and leaps up off of the sofa.

"Prefects' meeting!" She shoves her books into her satchel and makes towards Remus, yanking him out of his seat. He looks bewildered, almost frightened as he's pulled towards the door.

"Bye Lin! Don't wait up Lin!" I shout after Lily.

She sticks her head out of the door quickly, "Sorry!"

And once again, I'm the awkward loner in the common room.

*

The next morning, we file into Defence Against the Dark Arts, everyone shoving each other to get to the front. I just had Ancient Runes while everyone else was at Muggle Studies, so I have to push in front of people to reach the girls.

The desks have been pushed back, and professor Merrythought stands by a set of drawers, "Good morning class. I'm sure all of you-"

"Where's Proffesor Ormond?" Mikail, a Gryffindor boy, asks. The class murmurs quietly, already thinking up some crazy conspiracy theories.

"Quiet! Professor Ormond has unfortunately caught dragonpox over summer." Merrythought replies quickly. He's defence teacher number six, I guess the curse is real, "As I was saying, I'm sure that you all know that you are here today because you chose this subject for your N.E.W.Ts. So, we're going to start with something practical today, who knows what a boggart is?"

A voice from the back answers, "A boggart is a shape-shifting non-being that takes on the form of the victim's worst fear."

I hear James, who's not so far from us, whispering to Pettigrew, "No no no no no! Why does Snivellus have to be here?"

Remus and Sirius also turn to look around, Snape is standing by Avery and the other Slytherins.

The professor gives him a look, "Is there something you'd like to share with us Mr Potter?"

"No sir."

"Good. Now, the spell to defeat a boggart is simple. Concentrate on what you'll find amusing on the boggart's form then say, Riddikulus. Now everybody line up."