35. The Art of Avoidance

Needless to say, Remus and I are like magnets from that point on.
And no, not like the attracted kind.
More like we repel each other.
The twenty-second of December was literally a game of reverse cat and mouse. If I enter the room, he finds an excuse to walk out, and vice versa.
Hell, he even slept on the sofa last night.
Mrs Lupin gives me strange looks time to time; she may be a muggle but she has some strange power like she knows something has happened.
I wonder if Remus told her?
Then again is Remus the type to blurt out?
Not like the kid wears his heart upon his sleeve-

"Earth to Aylin." Mrs Pettigrew nudges me with her elbow, "I thought you came to help me."

I smile politely, "Sorry ma'am."

The others are inside playing board games or something of the sort, while our parents mill around, glasses of wine in their hands. It's a wonder none of them are drunk. Though it would be fun, seeing them a little tipsy.

"Sorry Mrs Pettigrew," I jump as a familiar voice calls into the kitchen. I turn to see Remus enter the room, making an obvious attempt to avoid my line of sight, "Mr Novak was asking if there were anymore crackers."

"Of course," she smiles, then points to a plate on the counter to my left, "just there."

"Thanks." Remus clears his throat, and I keep my head down over the cake batter I'm mixing as he passes me, "Cracker Lin?"

"No thanks." I try to seem unphased as he offers me one, and turn back to my mixing. I don't know just what is making me so uncomfortable.
I mean yeah, it's because I realised that Remus had no intention of anything else... but I don't know if it's the fact that Lupin hasn't tried to talk to me or that it's the notion that maybe he's aware that I misjudged what happened.

OH MY GOD EMOTIONS ARE SO CONFUSING.

"Okay." He shrugs, leaving.

Well that was anticlimactic.

*

REMUS

"Two houses. Hell yeah." Lily beams with pride, rubbing her hands together. She is fast becoming the richest in the monopoly game, but also the most hated.

Monty nudges me, "That's cheating Re! Do something!"

I shake me head, "Nah, sorry Monty. It's all law-abiding."

"This game is boring."

"Just because you're in Jail Prongs." Peter rolls his eyes, keeping the fake money close to his chest.

"Oh my God this game is going to ruin my family." Aunt Mia mutters to herself, causing a slightly tipsy Mrs Novak to giggle into her husband's shoulder, "Oh dear Dimitri..."

Mr Novak just laughs, "It's the most fun Maria's had for a while, she'll be alright."

"Alright everyone let's pause this game." Dad pulls James back just as he's about to attack Sirius, "Who wants takeaway?"

A chorus of me's go around the room, followed by everyone looking around at each other in awkward silence. I know what this is, I've experienced this for years. Everyone wants takeaway, but no-one can be bothered to get up, "Fine, I'll go get it. Curry?"

"That's my boy." Mum hands me a few notes to pay with, "and ask Eliza if she needs anything while you're out."

"Okay. See you in half an hour." I go back into the kitchen, kind of really really dreading it.
Am I making Lin uncomfortable?
Is she freaked out by the fact I like her?
Oh my God I'm going to hyperventilate.
Jesus man, relax, "Err Mrs Pettigrew is there anything you'd like from the shop? We're getting takeaway."