32. The Mysterious Case of the Redhead

"You kids want anything?" Euphemia asks, but before we can answer, she says, "James, Sirius, show the girls their room, then come downstairs for hot chocolate."

"Come on Novaks." James takes my case out of my hand and Sirius does the same to Mim. We follow them up the stairs, marvelling at how big the cottage is.

"This place is huge." Miriam gapes, "Is that a loft room?"

Sirius grins, looking up the second flight of stairs, "Yeah, it's like a hideout, y'know for sleepovers."

"So cool." Okay maybe I'm a tiny bit jealous. James opens one of the rooms to what I first assume is the first room were staying in, and I catch a glimpse of messy undone beds, "Potter we're not staying in there right?"

"Of course not, I had to get my glasses." Instead he actually goes up the stairs. I can't believe I'm freaking out about sleeping in a special sleepover room. But come on, wouldn't anyone?

"Welcome to the Marauders' HQ." Sirius pushes the door open and throws Mim's case onto one of the mattresses.

James pulls Sirius towards the door, "Get changed into pyjamas or something, we'll be downstairs."

I begin to search for my Queen top, messing up all the other clothes in the process. I pull it on quickly and then ungracefully try to hop into my jogging bottoms, almost falling onto my face.

Miriam snorts, "The grace of a swan."

"Hahaha very funny you Smurf." I mess up her curls as I pass her on my way out.

"Smurf?! Out off all the bloody things you could say?" She tuts, following me.

"Yep."

"Why even?!"

I jump down the second to last step, "Because you're small."

"So are you-" Miriam begins to hiss, but is cut short when she sees Euphemia, "hey Mrs Potter!"

"Call me Aunt Mia." She smiles, and lifts the tray in her hand to gesture at the cups on it, "I put some marshmallows in as well, thought you might like it."

"Thank you." I take my mug, taking a tentative sip, "Oh my Merlin this tastes amazing!"

"You're very kind dear," Euphemia pats my arm, turning back towards the kitchen, where I can see my parents talking to Monty in hushed voices, "you two go on into the living room."

I can tell she doesn't want us to hear what they're talking about, "Thanks."

"Took your sweet time mate." Sirius smirks, prodding the log on the hearth with his wand.

I sit on one of the armchairs, which are so soft, "Says the boy who probably spends an hour on his hair every morning."

"Ooooh shit." James is certainly openly enjoying this. When Sirius just huffs, I beam at him, basking in this little triumph.

"So...how's Slytherin going?" Sirius tries to change the subject.

Miriam takes a sip of her hot chocolate, "It's nice. Some of the kids look at me a bit weirdly, but I have friends. Regulus helps me with homework sometimes-"

"My Regulus?!" Sirius almost chokes on his drink.

Mim frowns, not quite understanding, "Yeah..."

"Huh," Black smiles a bit, as if amused, "well did he say anything about blood supremacy?"

"Sirius!" James snaps.

Miriam shifts uncomfortably in her spot, "No, I don't think so, he's nice."

"Well nice people wouldn't hang out with deatheaters and sociopaths."