III •Breathing Underwater• III

A/N, I've only just realised how disappointingly short my chapters are. I've decided to merge together what I had and am determined to make my chapters longer for the best reading experience. Thank you to everyone who has given me votes, kind words and support with this piece. It really means a lot.

There stood a man around six foot. Devilishly handsome, ice blue eyes and long dirty blonde hair. His tanned skin had seen too many days in the sun and his eyes tired as he wore a red glaze over them accompanied by a threatening look. He held a beer in his hand and swayed slightly as he stood.

"Seen your car outside thought I'd come say hey." He sniggered.

"Please leave, you know you can't be here." She kept her stance strong. Josh squeezed her hand lightly and she gave a slight nod signalling she was okay. For now. The man took a sip of his beer and narrowed his eyes at her.

"Oh come on, give me a fucking break." He slurred, stumbling dangerously close to her.

"Please leave us alone." She stayed calm and collected as she kept her place, looking him straight in the eye though the blood racing through her veins told another story. Josh went to say something but was held back by her courage she wanted to fight this battle on her own.

"You're making a big deal out of this, still?!" He sneered.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" She seethed.

"You're such a fucking drama queen." He rolled his eyes and she felt something posses her body, her timid nature toward confrontation taking a step back. Revulsion had set off in her mind.

"You do not get to destroy someone and decide how ruined they are allowed to feel!" She thundered, she wasn't sure if it was her or the ground shaking beneath her. Everyone paused and everything fell silent but the rumble from her lungs still echoing. Her heart was pounding, hands sweating but she felt like it was the 'fuck you.' He needed. "Now get out of my life you repugnant fuck."

He exhaled and admit defeat. Storming out the door to his truck. She dismissed it and focused her mind on removing the negative aura that had been created. Breathe, she thought, just breathe.

"Are you okay?" Josh asked as he left, placing a hand on her shoulder but quickly removing it as she jerked him away. She inhaled sharply.

"I'm sorry." She exhaled. "Not really."

"You wanna talk about it?" He asked, seeing the cracks of where his fingers lightly touching her fragile skin. She was going to shatter, he knew she was.

"Sure, but I need a smoke." She walked out onto the deck with her head hung low. He followed close behind her, thinking of all the words he should say to comfort her, shocked of the amount of bravery just displayed to a man who had obviously made her feel weak. She placed a cigarette between her lips as did he, he lit both and watched as a small blanket of relief covered her.

"H-he's just my friend who owns this cottage's brother, he's a bad person." She stuttered. "He did something to me I still can't forgive him for, he thought it was okay because we were both drunk. No matter how many times I told him no. He told me it'll be our little secret and not to tell anyone." She paused momentarily, shivering at her own words. Josh's thumb was rubbing calming circles onto her hand as he wore an expression of sadness and concern. How could anybody be so cruel?

"I got away. Managed to kick him in the face in the split second I could and broke his nose. I told my friend and she convinced me to go to the police but before I did he came and threatened me. It was a couple of years ago, I've gotten help, I just, I still despise his face. He acts like nothing ever happened and that he isn't a piece of shit."