Chapter 7

Yet again I found myself in cuffs. The guards pulled me behind them as Prince Caelan led us to the deck. He swung open the doors and the blaring sun shinned down on us. I squinted my eyes trying to adjust and stumbled over the stairs we were climbing.

We reached the deck and multiple slaves were scrubbing the deck while guards with guns watched over them. As we passed, each guard scowled at me with disapproval. I returned the scowl but the guards in front of me kept tugging on the incessant chain conjoining my hands make me trudge along.

Caelan walked into a room blocked off by French doors and the guards and I followed. As soon as I entered, the doors were closed by two other guards. I sighed with relief that we were done walking and took note of the chairs in front of a desk that Caelan was walking to. I took the liberty of walking towards one only to be pulled to the side of the guards. I grunted annoyed and scowled at them then at Caelan. He sat in the comfortable looking chair behind the desk which held a map, similar to the one I have on my ship, of the world.

"Where did you see her last?" he asked.

"Who?" I smirked at him. His nose scrunched up a little a giveaway he was getting irritated already.

"Don't try to annoy me. You know exactly whom I am talking about. Where is Trinity?" he asked. I shrugged at his question.

"Well, to start off I have no clue on where this girl is. Secondly, why are you so bent on trying to find this girl? What does she mean to you? Why haven't you gotten over her?" I asked. If I'm going to make him forget about me I have to know why he hasn't yet.

"That is none of your business pirate," he hissed.

"My name is not pirate! I name is Captain Tri," I shouted. A guard drew his sword and held it to my throat. I glared at him from the corner of my eye. Tension filled the room as time ticked by with the cold metal against my skin. He could take my life so easily. Just a swish of his wrist and all of this could be over. It would save me a lot of trouble.

"Put your sword down solider," said Caelan calmly. The guard hesitated a few moments then slowly lowered his sword. I brought my hands up to my neck and softly rubbed it. I reached around to the back of my head slyly and slid the needle out from the rim of my hat. Paine taught me a trick to get out of cuffs in case I were to ever be in a predicament like this. I lowered my hands and curled them enough to veil my fingers and the lock. Slowly I slid the needle in and began twisting and turning.

"Trinity," whispered Caelan. I froze and looked at him. He couldn't know could he? He was staring down at the map and I noticed a silver chain around his neck. I followed it down his shirt which concealed the end of the chain. What could be on the end of that chain?  I slowly stepped forward trying to get a better look but the guards tugged on the chains and pulled me back.

"Can't I at least have a seat? It will take a while to explain where I last saw her," I grunted. The guards looked at Caelan and he waved his hand. They pulled me over to the chair but still kept me chained. I glanced down at my hands and continued working on the lock. 

"I dropped her off at Tortuga. After that I never saw her again. Although, there are things you need to know about her. Things I'm sure you don't want to hear but trust me you need to. Luckily I was the first to find her. She was all alone on an island. It was during the night and I was walking along my ship when I noticed a small fire on the shore. She was lucky not many ships sail those shores and the ones that do...well let's just say they are the ones who give pirates a bad name. Anyways when we got to shore no one was there. I had my men spread out and search for anyone or anything. She was very smart she had made multiple foot print paths in the sand so no one could track her. I followed a random path and after I while I was just about to give up when I came across a cave. I entered and there she was curled up in a ball shaking and terrified. I brought her aboard my ship and she told me about how pirates ravaged your land and took her and her maid. They had gotten separated when she stole a dingy. That is how she landed on the island," I paused to look at him. His eyes were intense and staring into mine. A small shiver ran down my spine. I always have loved his eyes. So intriguing but I could always tell what was behind them. Somewhere he was still the little boy I grew up sparring with. 

"Then what? Why did you leave her alone at Tortuga?" Caelan pleaded. I sighed slowly trying to think of something to say. Usually I'm good at lying about my past but for some reason looking at him knowing that the girl he loved was gone shattered my heart. I slowly breathed in.

"Captain, there is a ship rapidly gaining on our starboard side!" shouted a man bursting through the doors.