Chapter 2

"...and then he said "why the hell do I owe you so much?" And I said "because I own your arse and this business." " The woman cackled as everyone laughed along with her. Except of course yours truly. I smiled and turned walking away from the conversation. "...did you hear about the company that I'm going to be putting out of business. Poor tax givers over a hundred of them going on the streets. Should have worked harder..." A man said shaking his head as I walked by them. Blimey filthy rich buggers. "I bought 16 lots in New York yesterday. There will be over a hundred acres of land demolished and set for construction of my companies." Bastards. The hippies better have there way with you. Clenching my teeth I made my way to opening that leads to a balcony over the water. Air I need air. Just before dinar. I can't stand these filthy bastards. Rich scum.
Walking out onto the balcony there are only three people who are smoking completely oblivious to the commotion inside. I sighed leaning against the railing looking at the sunset. What gives them the right to destroy perfectly good land? Just because the bastards have money? Just because they Can. I grumble and sip my champagne humming with approval. Infernal creatures those rich buggers are. Then they throw people onto the street because they work to hard or not hard enough. It's as if they aren't working at all. So what if they have the money, they don't deserve it. Poverty needs it. Fix the damn roads, shelters, houses, land. They just need to improve in general. But I can see why. "Filthy buggers." I mumbled under my breath.
"Well I wouldn't start assume people as 'Filthy buggers' until you've met them." I jumped at the sudden voice beside me. Looking over there was a man. Not just any man but Theodore G. Hast, multi-millionaire, top bachelor, owner of Vermont, Canada, England, and more. Well maybe not OWNER but he owns alot. Hes freaking tall! Thats the first thing I notice. I'm 5' 3" in my heels I'm about 5' 8' and he still towers over me as if I werent wearing the heels. Bugger. (The man in the picture)
Turning away from him I look back at the sunset. "Don't you think it's a bit rude to scare a woman?" I murmur sipping on my drink. I feel him shift next to me as he leans against the railing also. "My apologies miss..." I glance at him as he speaks. He looks at me waiting for my name. Should I give it to him. No! My subconscious snarled but I ignored her. At least give something fake. If he finds out who you are...- "Matthews. " I stated looking back at the sunset. "Miss Matthews." He said a smile coming to his face. He turns to me and watches me as I look at the sunset. Oh you bugger stop staring at me. "I already know who you are. I am not inclined to ask of whom you are Mr.Hast. " glancing at him. "Nor am I interested in anything you may have to offer." He smile slowly fades to a frown. "Excuse me...?" His cold stare now boring into me. I rolled my eyes heavenwards and turned towards him. "Are you Deaf Mr.Hast? I want nothing to do with you. I'm not some helpless maiden looking for a date." He still said nothing as I continued. "Now if you will please im enjoying a sunset." Turning away from him I watched as the sun set. The soft water flowing below us. Go away you bugger. He still did not leave he just stares at me. After a moment he shifts and again he's leaning over the railing. "Did you not hear me Mr.Hast..."
"I heard you quite clear Miss Matthews. But as it is a function and this is a balcony I will be where I please. Regardless of your rudeness." He stated coolly without faltering.
I scoff glancing at him.
"Me? Rude? Never." A smirk comes to my lips as I look at my now empty champagne glass.
"I've never seen you at a function before." He stated as I glance at him. "I've been to plenty of functions. It is you who has been absent." I murmur. "Is it that I have been absent or you have been?" He strikes back. Vermin leave me be. Looking at him I narrow my eyes. "And who are you to accuse me of such? " He shrugs and straightens himself.
"I am Theodore Hast. I get what I want. And know what I please. As for you I've never seen you before." He states. He is right. I've only recently started coming to functions. He can see through you. No he can't. Straightening myself I look at him as a server passes I place my cup on his tray then look back at Mr.Hast. "I've been to functions. I'm well with keeping hidden." Turning I start to walk back towards the ballroom but then there is something gripping my arm. It's rough and strong. Is that a... Hand! Quickly I snatch my arm away and look at Mr.Hast. "don't you ever touch me you vile man. " I spew at him as he raises a brow, then almost reluctantly he smirks. "Well. This isn't going as planned." He says rubbing his hand through his hair. "What are you talking about? What's not going 'as planned'" saying this I shoot him a glare as he stands strong his smile fading. "Meaning I get my way. And I would like you to accompany me tonight Miss Matthews." He holds a hand to me.
He's serious. He's really serious. Never in a million years. My lips turn into a smile as he smiles back. But then a giggle bubbles from my throat and then laughter. His smile slowly turns to a frown his hand slowly falling as he looks at me puzzled. "Have I said something Amusing Miss Matthews." Soon I'm in full blast hysterical laughter. As I catch my breathe I look at him. "Oh... Oh youre a funny man. Accompany you? I would rather... learn to swim face down... in the lake below." I say catching my breathe as he frowns deeply. "You're telling me no? Nobody tells me no." His fists clench beside him as I raise a brow. "That's because youre a spoiled Son of a Bachelor." I sigh after my giggling has subsided. "Good evening sir." I say turning on my heels and walking into the building. This time no hand catches me. Such a funny man. Filthy buggers he is. A giggle comes from me again as I make my way to a seat and settle in. From the corner of my eye I notice that Mr.Hast has taken the pleasure in speaking to a man as I listen to the soft violin playing in the background. Well most interesting this evening is proving to be. "Most decent it is." I murmur. "That it is Miss Matthews. " My breath catches in my throat as I glance over my left shoulder, Mr.Hast is shaking the man's hand as he smiles at me then Mr.Hast takes his seat beside me. "I told you Miss Matthews. I always get my way." He growls as I stare at him. Proving to be the most interesting. Seems as though it's going to get even more. This man is going to drive me Bonkers. May I state. This MAN! This most infernal, most difficult MAN!