Chapter 5 † Strange e n c o u n t e r s

†CHAPTER 5†

s t r a n g e   e n c o u n t e r s

I sucked in a breath as my eyes focused on his face; it was covered in long, silver scars that ran from just above his left brow bone to the left side of his lower jaw. He was astoundingly pale and ashy, reminding me of those vampire's on T.V from the 50s when they wore thick layers of pale, peeling face paint. I knew he was old, but he looked so young; 35 at most.

He was part of the council though, granted by the fates to live a life with a steal thread;  a piece of yawn that would never be cut. He was figuratively immortal.

A cruel smile played with his lips, curling them up and showing a glimpse at his platinum teeth.

I unconsciously shivered, his presence sending off warning bells in my head. I pulled Let closer and narrowed my eyes at him.

I saw a glimpse of a pristine black suit, leading me to realise Araes was wearing rather expensive looking clothes under his coat. He wouldn't come to murder us wearing a beautiful suit.

I swallowed and nodded my head, not trusting my voice enough to greet him.

“Well," I cringed at his laugh, “I expected more of a greeting from uno dei ‘due gemelli di morte'" He continued his words with roaring laughter.

Even when spoken in a different language, those words sent shivers coursing up my spine. I didn't speak Italian, so I had no idea what he said to me, but I knew it wasn't a compliment.

“Sorry to disappoint." I countered.

“Well it's sad that I didn't get to meet your brother... I've heard a lot about him." I grinned maliciously, almost teasing.

I tried to control my anger but I couldn't help but spot back, “Funny, we've heard nothing about you."

He roared with laughter, attracting many others' attention. “Was the other beast this sarcastic?" His question was directed at Darwyn but I could see him glancing up at me out of the corner of his eyes.

“Why you little mange covered bas—"

“Araes!" A booming voice interrupted me and I looked away, “Old friend, how are you?" I watched as my father walked up to him and gave him a hug.

Friend?!

I was still fuming when Leto pulled on my sleeve, indicating she wanted me to pick her up. I hauled her up and placed her on my hip, protectively hugging her closer. She planted a kiss on my cheek and held on to me tighter.

Araes' eyes got fiery as he watched our exchange, obviously not very pleased.

“Oh I see you've met Rory," he paused and beamed at me, “and my granddaughter, Leto."

“Granddaughter?" Aeres said, exasperated. He looked between me and Leto, his eyes narrowing.

“Yes, Mavros' daughter." My father smiled, oblivious to the obvious relief on Araes' face.

“She's such a darling. She gets her hair from you I presume?" Areas said, laughing.

My dad's cheeks heated and he let out a gruff laugh. “Well, shall I introduce out to my mate and the rest of the pack?"

Araes looked at me for a long moment before nodding, “I'd like that." he never took his eyes off me as he spoke to my dad.

I have to admit my instincts wanted me to punch him in the face and shove him to the floor, but my common sense held me back from embarrassing myself.