Chapter 9

When Percy came to, he found that there were a lot of strange things going on.

First, he was alive when last he remembered, he was falling into a volcano. Second, he was tied up. And third, he noticed that Luxa, Ripred, and Aroura were all tied up and the four of them were on this metal, chandelier-looking thing that branched off at the top into four vertical rods, hence, four tied up people.

Lastly, they were all being dangled above a circular pool of water. As Percy's vision cleared, he thought he could see small, almost invisible creatures swimming in the water.

"Sea wasps, Mr. Jackson." a voice rang out above them, from a platform Percy could see a small animal, about the size of your average golden retriever, step into the light.

It was a cutter.

"Not native to the Americas, they mostly reside along the coast of Australia. The nematocysts on their tentacles contain a potent neurotoxin and are considered to be the most deadliest species of jellyfish on the planet." the dog-sized ant jumped, "Oh! Where are my manners?" He gave a polite bow," Allow me, If you will, to formally introduce myself, I am he called Fredrick Reginald Edmonton Oswald Norrington."

"Hey, Freon, you talkin' to those jerks like that?" Another Cutter appeared beside the first,

"Oh, yes, and this is my brother, he called Natthaniel Edmonton Oswald Norrington."

"Please, call me Neon. And that goes for you to, bro, can't stand it when ya get all fancy talkin' with me."

"Being bombastic is merely my genre of person. Besides, one must be cerebral if he is to be advantageous over the-"

"ZIP IT!" Neon snapped,

"But that is impossible!" Luxa shouted,

"Tell me about it." mumbled Neon.

" Cutters cannot speak human!"

" Ah, that was the case," Freon spoke again, "indeed, our traditional form of communication through chemicals and smell is far more accurate and quick that this crude vocalization, however, since the human olfactory system is not as acute as a cutter's, we must learn your language in order to communicate with you."

Neon, looking half-asleep, moaned, "Can we stop with the Biology lessons and just get on with the torture!?"

A panel lit up in front of the cutters, Neon pushed a button and they started to descend towards the pool...

"Wait! No! Stop!" all four of them yelled in protest and the rig halted.

" We have what you want!" Luxa hollered,

"No you don't." Neon said, looking bored again,

"Yes!" she objected, "In the satchel!"

"What? This thing?" Neon pulled out Luxa's backpack.

"Yes!"

The cutters opened the pack, the first thing they pulled out was the sword. Percy gave a sigh of relief, They have it. It's over. He thought.

But the cutters just looked at it.

Then looked at each other. This lasted several seconds, which must have been deep conversation for cutters.

Suddenly, Neon snatched up the pieces and hurled them off of the platform. When they hit the metal floor of the lair, the handle completely broke off and the gems shattered with a sickening sound that echoed inside the mountain.