Chapter 3

Percy thought he wouldn't sleep much. His room seemed rather dull to him, the bathrooms were much more interesting (he was fascinated completely by the toilets which seemed to have been carved out of bedrock). When he finally climbed onto his cot, he found it to be a lot softer than he imagined. Before he even knew it , he was asleep.

         Memories of the day's events floated in and out of his dreams. Mr. McMillian's heart attack ( although it was a slight variation, in Percy's subconscious memory, he was fairly certain there was no rubber ducky pirates involved when it happened in real life), of course he had to relive the fall to the Underleand, over and over and over again, and then there was the part where he met Ripred, as he dreamed he remembered what he had said to him, calling him a warrior. He recalled something Mrs. McMillian had said about Gregor, about him being called a warrior too.

      That thought stuck with him, was being called a warrior something they did with all overlanders? or...

     CRASH!

        Percy opened his eyes, he sat up and looked around the room. I was still dull and motionless, just as it had been before he went to sleep, maybe he dreamed the crashing sound.

        He fell back on his pillow, he closed his eyes but he couldn't fall asleep, he thought he kept hearing voices. Percy sat up again when he realized he was hearing voices. He got up, he was still wearing his T-shirt, blue jeans and jacket from the previous night. He slipped on his shoes and got up, his watch  told him it was morning. Percy moved around the room, straining his ears, trying to catch the voices again. Then he heard them, he realized they were coming from the next room. 

      He walked to the door and moved quietly into the hall. The door to the room next to him was opened slightly, light seeped through the crack. Percy tiptoed closer to where he could see though the crack, he could also hear the voices more clearly.

     " -And so if it wasn't for my nose that day, nearly a thousand gnawers would be dead today!" Percy recognized the voice  as the one of the big rat he saw last night.

     " That's great Ripred," said an unenthusiastic second voice, " but what does this have to do with that Percy kid again?"

       "Because I can smell something about him, something awfully bad."

     " Like?" came a female third voice,

     "Something... well.. inhuman."

    " Oh puh-lease." the second voice sighed "Jackson smells perfectly normal , well , normal for humans that is, besides how can you smell anything about him when Flyfur and I can smell him standing right out side the door?"

     Percy had two seconds to step away from the door before it busted open.

     "WHY YOU LITTLE-" Ripred was stopped from killing Percy by one of the two rats standing behind him.

     "Ripred, just calm down. You don't want to kill him on his first day."

      I'd rather not be killed on any day as a matter of fact. Percy  thought to himself,

        "He was eavesdropping!" Ripred shouted,

        " Yeah, on a boring tall tale and your highest opinions of him." argued the other rat, the one named Flyfur continued,

       " Let's just go to breakfast. you two are going to be in enough touble for breaking that vase."