Chapter 27 - Please Take Me Home

Kennedy POV

Ugh. Last day on the job, and tomorrow night I am officially off. I mean I can't do Australian paperwork in America right?

I check the time, 9:45. It's only been 45 minutes and I'm bored as heck. All I'm doing is filling in either Luke Hemmings, Ashton Irwin, Calum Hood or Michael Clifford in a bunch of lines of paper. It's for their trip to London in a few days. Then, I have to make them a schedule, set list, directions, phone calls... email them, email their manager. Gah. Then there's a meeting I have to set with them later today. Awesome huh?

Just pass 10, Sarah walks in with some starbucks in her hand.

"Good morning sunshine! Last day on the job and got you a mocha," she says, smiling.

"Thanks Sarah, you didn't have to," I say, taking the blazing paper cup.

"So, Diane huh?"

"Yeah. Can you believe it?"

"I wonder why. She used to come to the studio and ask for Luke. He would only get a few songs recorded, and then go out with her. It was horrid."

"But at least he's getting stuff recorded."

"Yeah, half of what he's supposed to have."

"What happened after?"

"Hmm. I guess when he started dating you, you worked here so he didn't really have to scurry and rush. The songs sound much better too. Wanna hear?"

"Nah. I rather just buy it off iTunes."

"Your loss then. Oh! Christian, our super super boss has asked you to accompany the boys in London. And I said what you told me but he really wants you to go."

"I don't know Sarah..."

"He considers it a bonus. Come on! It's harmless."

"Isn't that what managers are for?"

"Think of it as an assistant? All you'll be doing is making sure they arrive where they need to when they need to. And you know, making sure their instruments are okay, if they need anything you get it for them-"

"So I'm like their personal slave?"

"It's better than being a sex slave. Come on Kennedy, it's $60 a day and they pay for your transportation."

"Ugh. Fine. I'll think about it okay?"

"Good enough for me. Have a great morning, I'll get someone to hand you the other papers."

"You too, and okay."

I take a in a deep breath as I reposition my seat at the front desk. Soon the little bell rings as four teenage boys walk right in. Wicked cool... someone follows them in.

"Lukey, why didn't you hold the door?" complains Diane.

"Because you were so behind. You know there's no reason to wear heels. It's not like anyone's gonna see you," he says quietly.

"Why is she here?"

"Who?"

Luke's eyes follow Diane's glare. Our eyes meet as I hold the paper for them to sign in.

"Oh, she works here," he says delightfully, as if proud.

"Morning Kenn," says Michael, tiredly.

"Morning. Remember we have a meeting at 5:30 today," I remind.

"Soooo looking forward to that," says Ashton, lazily.

The last one to sign is Luke, and he smiles at me, warmly. But his eyes tell me different. I can't make it out.