Chapter 26 - Wherever You Are

I take a deep breath, sniffling in the process. I lay on my bed, finding a ticket back home in my budget. Looks like nothing is in my budget...

Bzz... Bzz... Bzz...

"Hello?"
"Kennedy? Baby what's wrong?"
"Mom I need to come home."
"Sweetheart don't cry, it's alright. Why do you wanna come home?"
"Because Luke left me."
"What? Oh no... alright. We'll book you a flight okay?"
"Okay."
"Stay strong honey. I'll go get you the first flight to LA okay?"
"Okay. Thanks mom... I love you."
"I love you too."

I take another deep breath, hitting end call and walking out of bed. My face... everything about me is a mess, I haven't eaten a real meal in 2 days. Ashton, Michael and Calum have tried to contact me, but I never replied. It would be weird for us to talk anyway. They're Luke's best friends.

After getting washed up, I decide to make some coffee and eat toast. I go to the mall.

***

"I like your shirt," says a girl, walking up to me.
"What? Oh thanks," I say, looking at my 5 Seconds of Summer shirt.
"You're Kennedy right?"
"Yeah. That's me."
"Luke's my favorite too."
"That's great, he's awesome."

After some talk, I walk around, in and out of shops. Someone, again spots me.

"Oh my God you're Kennedy!" she says.
"That would be me, hi," I say.
"You really are American oh my gosh. Can I have a picture?"
"Um... why?"
"Because you're like awesome!"
"Oh... um just a quick one."
"Thank you!"

Picture. Click. Flash. Moving on.

I probably look like crap right now, I don't blame these people for staring. But... why are they staring SO much?

Walking over to a court, where there is lots of teenage girls... I find myself in the middle of a 5SOS meet and greet. Oh great.

The big banner of their band name is up, and heaps of girls are lined up in front of a table. Who's in that table? 5 Seconds of Summer. I want to escape this hell-hole.

I quickly glance to see Ashton smile at me. Luke follows his eyes and we lock eyes for a second. I watch as he looks down at his lap and his face falls. Soon, I'm out of the building.

***

There's nothing to do... Alli won't answer my phone calls... my mom is asleep... Gracie is who knows where. To think about it, I barely have any friends. The only real person I have is Sarah, but she barely comes in. About that, I need to tell her I can't work for the next couple who knows when.

My life is utterly boring. Utterly. So I decide to pack.

I grab the luggages from the garage and start to pack. Pants first. Jeans, shorts, everything.

Then shirts, soon I remember I have a lot of Luke's shirts. His favorite ones too. He often would hang out at my house, and would end up falling asleep. So he had his little stash of clothing here. What do I do with them...?

Luke POV

WHERE THE HELL IS IT!?

"Mum!" I yell.
"Yes Luke?"
"Where's my black and white Blink 182 shirt?!"
"I haven't seen it in weeks. Maybe it's at Kennedy's."
"Ugh! What the hell!?"
"You do wear it, and you were at Kennedy's. Why don't you ask for them back?"
"No... she can have them."

My mum looks around my room, she smiles at some photo frames.

"What are you doing?" I ask.
"You still have so many pictures of Kennedy and yourself," she says.
"I know."
"I haven't got the chance to meet her."
"Well now you don't have to. She's not my girlfriend anymore."
"Luke, you were never this rude to your own mum. What's wrong?"
"Nothing."
"Lucas..."
"Nothing okay? I'm just gonna be late if I don't have my shirt!"
"Pick another shirt Luke Hemmings."

My mum walks out of my room, pissed at me obviously. I sigh and put on some random shirt.

Diane: Luke youre late
Me: I'm sorry. I'm leaving now

Ugh, I don't even want to go with K... Diane. She's boring. I hate her kisses, her annoying voice... it's weird to think a few months ago I thought she was the most beautiful thing that roamed the earth. Now she's just... a girl. That girl I saw... she wore a 5SOS shirt. A new one, she had a light blue little bag in her hand. That couldn't be Kennedy would it? Her name melts right into my soul, as if she was made just for me.

***

I walk up the front porch of Diane's house, knocking on the door. Her mum opens it.

"Luke! How nice to see you," she says.
"Hi Mrs Spencer, may I come in?"
"I don't see why not, come in."

I smile at her and walk into her foyer, then into the leisure room.

"Diane should be down in a few," she says, nodding.
"Thanks," I say.

I sit down on the low couch and take my phone out. I go into twitter and see some people freaking out... what's going on?

Kennedy's heading home! :( poor lukey he's gonna be lonely with his gf in LA

Kennedy's leaving? What's going on!? Her and Luke were like perf

Looks like people definitely liked Kennedy, but something catches my eye.

Luke better not hook up with that diane bitch while kenns in la. Shes like poison

Ouch... she's my girlfriend now. They can't call Diane those things!

"Hi Luke," says Diane, walking into the room.
"Hey," I say dull.
"Why aren't you happy?"
"Nothing... I'm not upset."
"Oh okay good. Let's go. There's plenty to do."
"But all we do is go out... can't we just stay in?"
"Luke, no one will see us together if we stay at home."
"Why does that matter?"
"Aren't you wanting to show me off?!"

Not really no. I just want to go home and sleep.

"I don't know," I say.
"God you're stupid. Let's go, people are waiting."
"Have you ever wondered... how wicked it would be to just lay down with me? Here? Watching a film or something?"
"Who are you and what have you done to my boyfriend?"

Her words block my thoughts. I never realized of it that way. I'm her boyfriend, and she's my girlfriend.

"Luke... is there something wrong?" asks Diane, sitting next to me.
"Hmm? Oh um nothing. I just overthink too much," I say.
"I know... hey, why don't we take that offer and I help you study?"
"Sounds great, but why don't we go over to my house?"
"Sounds even better."

I smile as I walk Diane to the front door after saying goodbye to her mum. I hope today's a good day.

***

"Last question baby," says Diane.

By now, my head is pounding. I'm tired, and want to sleep.

"Go for it," I say lazily.

Diane writes the equation down on the notebook and I scan it quickly. I smirk and my eyes open a little more. I solve the equation and hand the book back to her. Diane looks at my formula, and back at the books. She smiles, I must've gotten it correct.

"My man's a genius," she says proudly.
"I know," I say cheekily.

Soon there's a knock on the door, and I say it's open. My mum walks in with the phone.

"Luke, there's someone on the phone for you," she says.

I stand up from my desk and walk over to my mum, grabbing the phone. Taking a deep breath, I answer.

"Hello?"
"Luke..."

I'm dumbfounded. This is crazy. Why would she talk to me after all that I've done?

"K-Kennedy... hi."
"Hi Luke, is this a bad time?"
"N-no. It's fine. How are you?"
"I'm... um okay. You?"
"I could be better..."
"I heard about your HSC exam."
"Yeah. I'm a little nervous."
"Hey, don't worry about it. You're a genius."

Why are her words more soothing?

"I like to think so. So why'd you call? Not that it's a bad thing..."
"I um just wanted to wish you luck... on everything. I'm going back to LA."
"Oh... you are?"
"Yeah. I don't really have a reason to be here anyway."
"But... what about USyd?"
"It's just silly. You know? Waking up in a city where you followed your boyfriend- ex boyfriend to. My home is Torrance, Lucas. Not Sydney."
"Don't go."
"W-what?"

Think Luke think...

"I-uh the boys will miss you too much."
"I already told them."
"When does your flight leave?"
"Two days from now."
"Kennedy?"
"Yeah?"
"I can hear you crying..."
"Oh God. That's the last thing I want you to hear..."
"I have a surprise for you."
"W-what?"

I say goodbye and go back to my room.

"Who was it?" asks Diane.
"An old friend. Listen, I gotta meet with the boys for a meeting. I'll text you okay?" I say.
"Okay, I see. I'll be waiting for that text."

I shoot Diane a smile as she leans into a kiss but I quickly dodge to get my guitar. I guess she shakes it off as she walks out of my room normally. Rummaging around my room I find my phone, then head to Calum's house. Which is just a minutes walk.

"Luke? I didn't expect you here," he says, without a shirt on.
"Well I'm here. Mind if you accompany me somewhere?" I basically plead.
"Sure, where? And why do you have a guitar?"
"Somewhere. And I'll explain on the way."

I stop as I reach a townhouse estate. I walk into the complex and find Kennedy's house.

"Luke what are you doing?" asks Calum.
"Making things right," I say.

Once I find Kennedy's house, I ring the doorbell and as soon as the door swings open, my knees shake. I can't believe I'm doing this.

Kennedy POV

The familiar lyrics of a recently released song fill my ears. It's beautiful. Why is he singing this? To me? At 8:40 pm, on a Sunday night?

Once the song finishes, Luke hands Calum his guitar and walks up to my door. He hesitates at first but wraps his arms around my waist, pulling me up to my toes. I wrap my own arms around his neck and my head finds it's way into Luke's chest. I missed this... so much. I still don't understand why he broke up with me. He hasn't said anything to anyone about the break up. So heaps of people think we're still together, and they've been very supportive.

To my surprise, Luke caresses my hair, and I know why. I'm crying. I didn't mean to... honestly. I don't know why, but I am.

"I didn't want you to leave......" says Luke.

Before I can speak, he interrupts me.

"Without a proper goodbye."

My heart tears into pieces. Shouldn't this be the part where he says he doesn't want me to leave at all? That I'm his true love?

Luke lets go of me and takes my hand. He places a cold metal piece in it. I open up my fist to see the number 5 on it.

"I'm not too keen with sports, but my band's got the number 5. Anyway, I want you to remember me- us. And our crazy ride. Sort of like the ferris wheel remember? I remember you suddenly didn't want any ice cream. And I later figured out Jed always bought you ice cream. I walked you home because you wore heels, when we walked on our first date. When I saw you at Starbucks, I couldn't get you out of my head. I called it destiny as you sat in A12, and we met prior the show. Long story short... I never regretted dating you. Nor loving you. I regret hurting you. But someone else will fill in those cuts I made in your heart."

"Stop it, I'm already crying," I say, pulling him in for a hug. This hug is much more meaningful. I grasp onto him tightly, inhaling his scent for probably the last time. I'm really going home this time. Nothing is going to stop me, because nothing is trying to.

"Kennedy, you're absolutely amazing. I can't wait...- never mind," he says.
"What is it Luke?" I ask.
"N-nothing. I just can't wait until we meet again."

It was something... not that. I want to know what that is.

When will this nightmare end?!

I find Calum and embrace him too.

"Can't believe my little sissy is leaving. You better be a good girl, and come visit us all the time. You're coming with us on our first headlining tour, no doubt," he says.
"Shut up. And yes, I'd love that," I say.

They're gonna be bigger rockstars than they already are. I invite them into my half empty home.

"You really cleaned up," says Luke, chuckling. I look up at his face to see guilt, and sorrow... and sadness.

"Unfortunately," I say.
"I liked this house," says Calum, scanning the walls that used to have pictures of us.
"This is where you kept the group picture of all of us in LA," says Luke, pointing to a spot on the wall.
"Yup, and next to it was the one of you guys at the little pop up acoustic," I say.

I find myself fighting tears.

"Kenn? Why are you wearing a jumper? It's burning out," asks Luke.
"No reason, I just never got around to change," I say quickly.
"Kennedy... what's going on?" asks Calum.
"Lift your shirt," says Luke, deeply.
"No, I'm not a little kid," I say.
"Lift your shirt," he says again, mimicking his previous tone.
"Luke, stop," says Calum.
"Lift the damn shirt Kenn!" exclaims Luke.

He walks up to me and lifts it himself, revealing the unwanted stuff I don't want them, or anyone to see.

"Oh God Kennedy, why..." says Luke, exhaling.

I whimper as Luke grazes a finger over my stomach and sides.

"I'm sorry, does that hurt?" he asks softly.

I nod. This is utterly embarrassing.

Luke doesn't pull my shirt down, he keeps holding it and examines my upper body. His eyes are dark, and upset. Like he found out I was dying or something.

"How'd you know?" I ask, between sobs.
"I can tell. You flinched when I hugged you, and when Cal hugged you," says Luke.

Gosh I'm so stupid. Why didn't I think of that!?

"It's none of your business anyway. I'm worthless," I say, wishing I didn't say that.
"Worthless?" asks Luke.
"Yeah..." I whisper.
"Goodness you're far from worthless. You are worth every second of everyday. Every fine piece of gold, every song. Every thought... you're beautiful. Why did you do this?"

Luke keeps his eyes at my burns. They're not that bad. I wouldn't have gone any further because it hurt, yeah it hurt. I cried for hours, wishing Luke would scoop me up in his arms and tell me he loved me.

"There was no more reason to not do it," I say simply.
"What's that supposed to mean?"
"I lost... something very important to me. I don't even know why that something left me. So I had to leave... I couldn't do it anymore."

Great I'm crying again. This is so fucking unnecessary.

"Don't cry, you're too beautiful to cry," says Luke.
"No one loves me... I have no family, no friends... no-"
"Boyfriend?"
"...yeah."
"I'm sorry Kennedy, but I'm with someone else."

Calum POV

I watch as the two scramble into a little argument. You know, I don't get it either. One day Kennedy is hanging out with the 1D boys and us, laughing and having a great time. The next day she doesn't answer any of our phone calls and Luke announces him and Diane are back together. Diane wasn't the nicest girl in our year, but she was one of the prettiest. Luke hated me because Diane and I somewhat dated. But that was in Year 7 okay? It doesn't even count.

I remember Luke and Diane running over to the warehouse, his guitar in hand. I had soccer practice on the field and saw them. They looked happy, and I noticed a little something in Luke's eyes. That something isn't seen when he's with Diane. Only when he's with Kennedy. So why did he break up with her?

"I lo- am in a relationship, okay? I'm sorry Kenn. Have a safe trip home," says Luke, walking with his head down to the door.

Did you know Kennedy was the first girl he ever said I love you to? Diane received many kisses, flowers, smiles, songs. But never a simple I love you.

"I guess I should get going," I say, engulfing Kennedy in my arms.
"Yeah," she sniffles, holding onto me like I'm leaving for war.
"Don't cry. Luke's right, you're too beautiful to be sad. Call me, text me or whatever when you land, okay? Text all of us. Even Luke, he'd appreciate it," I say.
"I will. I promise. Tell me how everything goes with Alli okay?"
"Definitely. You'll be like my human journal."
"Calum?"
"Yeesss?"
"Thank you. For everything. The boys are so lucky to have you, Alli is lucky to have you."
"Hey, what are friends for?"
"I love you, Calum."
"I love you too. Take care."

With that, I let go and I find Luke just on the steps of her porch.

"Lucas," I call.
"Yeah?" he answers.
"Has Lucas Hemmings been crying?"
"N-no. I'm not."
"You don't want to her to leave eh?"
"No. But she's happier in her real home, I have to consider that."
"But Luke, she was happy a week ago, and you were too."
"Stuff happens, people change."
"Not that quickly."
"Says the one who's got a pregnant girlfriend."
"Hey! Leave her out of this."
"People change Cal."
"Yeah, where's that sweet, innocent, loving and caring Luke? You know, the one who sings from his heart? The one who dedicates every show to his girlfriend? And I don't mean Diane."
"He grew up."
"Growing up has nothing to do with relationships Luke."
"Just leave me alone."
"I can't. I'm your best friend. So tell me why you are with Diane."
"Because I like her."
"But you don't love her?"
"Who said that?"
"The question is, why don't you love her? And why aren't you with the one you love?"
"Drop it Cal."
"See! You won't admit it! What did Diane do? Tell you to be with her or she'll spread a nasty rumor?"
"No."
"Blackmail you?"
"No."
"Pay you $1,000,000?!"
"No! I just like her okay?"
"You may like her, but face it Luke, you love Kennedy. How'd you know she was self harming?"
"She flinched, I told you."
"No she didn't. She didn't move at all."
"Maybe you're just blind."
"No, maybe because I'm not in love with her."
"Great, let's go."
"Not until you say you love Kennedy."
"I don't have to listen to you."

I smirk and take Luke's guitar and phone.

"Calum!"
"Say you love Kennedy, and go back in there and tell her not to leave. Tell her that you love her, and that whatever reason you did what you did was stupid."
"I can't!"
"Then admit to me that you love her."
"I don't lie."
"But that isn't a lie."
"Fine. Fine. I love Kennedy, okay? I don't want her to go. I want her to run into my arms, and I want to take care of those burns. I want to kiss her, hug her, call her cute things. I want to dedicate every song and performance to her, and say it publicly."

I smirk and lock my phone.

"Then tell her," I demand.
"It's not like that, Calum."
"Why?"
"I can't be with her... and I can't tell you why."
"Luke, you can tell me anything."
"Not this... okay? Respect that."
"I will. I will."

We walk back to my house.

Luke POV

*Next Morning*

"Luke, wake up. You have an early studio session today," I hear my mum's voice. I groan, and realize it's Kennedy's last day at the office.

"I'm up, I'm up," I say, sleazily.

Walking to the bathroom, I get a text.

Cal: This should be interesting! Kenn's working until today. See ya later lukey x

It's gonna be one interesting day...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not really sure whether this book should have a happy or a sad ending lol but i love happy endings :) and i believe happy is the only way to end things! Continue to vote & share and do whatever! Hahaha i love it <3 and I reached 1.2k yay! Thanks for reading!

abcds.co.vu