Chapter 17 - Finish Lines

When you cross a finish line, it's a good thing... right? Then why do I feel so defeated?

*Few Hours Before*

Lukey: Hey beauty, I'm outside.
Me: Hi. Ok I'll be out in a sec

I run down to the kitchen to see my mom and dad conversing happily.

"Morning sweetie," says my mom.
"Morning guys. Well today's the day," I say.
"And you're sure you wanna do this?" asks my Dad, standing up and putting a hand on my shoulder.
"Yes. It's been a long time," I say.
"We're here if you need anything. And so is Luke," says mom.
"Speaking of Luke. Why in HELL did you choose him to accompany you?" asks my dad.
"He's just being a good friend dad," I say.
"Good friends don't break their friends heart and go behind their girlfriend's back!" shouts my dad.
"I have to go, okay? I'll see you guys later," I say, rushing out the door.

I see Luke in front of my house, I run to the passenger side and he gives me a worried look.

"Yes Luke?" I ask.
"You ready?"
"Ready as I'll ever be."

***

"Are you sure this is the right address?" he asks.
"It says 1983 Union Street," I say, holding up the the slip of paper.

He takes hold of it, our hands brushing in the process. I don't know if it was because I'm vulnerable but I want more.

"Hmm, I guess this is it then," he says.

We go to the front doors but I hesitate to walk through the door that Luke has opened for me.

"Kenn," he says softly.
"I-I can't," I say.
"Yes you can. I'm right here with you," he says.
"What if-"
"I'm right here with you babe. Nothing's going to happen."

The way he called me babe... the way he makes me feel like I can do anything, conquer anyone. The way he makes me feel... almost loved.

Luke takes my hand and we enter the large building. Suddenly my skirt and t-shirt with heels feels out of place. I can guess that Luke feels the same as his casual attire is worn.

"Hi, how can I help you?" asks the desk lady. I kind of understand her job, we have the same one.

"Hi, I'm here to visit Payton Roberts-Williams," I say.
"Both of you?"
"Yes ma'am."
"How do you know Mrs Williams?"
"She... uh... she's my mother."
"Name please."
"Kennedy Montgomery."
"Age."
"17."
"What about your boyfriend there."

I am taken aback by this, but Luke stays calm and says his name and age.

"Okay, just wear these tags and she's in room 541, 10th floor," she says.
"Thank you," I say sincerely and grab both tags. I hand one to Luke and we go to the elevators.

"You okay Kenn? It seems as if you saw a ghost," says Luke, as we walk into the elevator.
"I'm just nervous, that's all," I say.

Luke swiftly takes my hand and holds it firm, a protective kind of firm. Kind of like he's saying "don't worry." But all I do is worry. All I want is this day to pass by quickly. I don't know what I'm feeling towards Luke anymore. I love him, but I know what he did to me. And that's something I don't think I can forgive. Who would forgive someone like that anyway?

Our stop comes and we walk out. The walls are a light gray color, and each door is a gray/blue color. Beside each is a little wooden plaque with a room number on it, under it is the patient's name.

"What room was it again?" asks Luke, still holding my hand.
"541," I say.
"There it is."

"Do we knock?" asks Luke.
"I guess," I say, holding a fist to the door. I tap on it lightly.

"Kennedy," says Zachary, opening the door.
"Hi Mr Williams, this is um-"
"Your boyfriend? Luke Hemmings?" says Zachary, "it's nice to meet you. I'm Kennedy's stepfather, Zachary."
"Pleasure's all mine sir."

"Come on in guys," says Zachary.

He opens the door a little wider as I see my- Payton reading a book on her bed. Due to my heels clacking on the tiles, she looks up. Her eyes become so watery, you can't see her turquoise eyes. Payton lets go of the book and wipes her tears away.

"Hi Payton," I say, smiling.

Although there is much tension between us, I can tell how happy I made her by coming here.

"You're so beautiful," she whispers.

I walk up to my mother and embrace her into a delicate hug, I hear her sniffle. Payton is in a sleeping gown, but her face seems as she just woke up. We let go and I look over at Luke.

"Who's that?" asks Payton.
"This is Luke," I say.
"It's nice to finally meet you Mrs Williams," he says.
"Call me Payton."

Luke gives her a sweet smile, and can I just say: I almost fell weak in the knees. That smile is just so flawless. I can't take it.

Luke POV

That's where Kennedy gets her facial features. Her mother is beautiful.

"How long have you two been together?" asks Payton.
"Actually we-" I cut Kennedy off before she says anything else.
"We met in LA. It's been about a month or so," I say.
"Uh... Luke...?" asks Kennedy.
"Yes baby?" I ask.
"Nothing," she says.

I smirk at her as she bites her lower lip, every time she does that I want to just press my lips onto hers. It's obviously wrong, or is it?

"You guys are so darling together. I always wanted Kennedy to meet an Australian," says Payton.
"Mom, that's enough," says Kennedy.

I look around the room in my chair.

"So, how's your father? How's Tara? Trinity?" asks Payton.
"They're all really good. They're here in Sydney for awhile," says Kenn.
"That's great, where do you guys stay?"
"At my house."
"You moved here?"
"I got accepted to USyd over the summer, well winter here."
"That's wicked! Congratulations love."
"Thanks."

I smile at Kennedy, who smiles faintly at me. She clearly doesn't understand why I told Payton that I was her boyfriend. But I hope that my plan works.

"Mom... if you don't mind answering... why are you here?" asks Kennedy.
"Oh... sweetheart would you mind answering that?" asks Payton.

I realize Payton has the same little habit that Kennedy does. They both bat their long eyelashes when they ask for something.

"Sure..." says Zachary, Kennedy and I turn to him.

"Um... so about a year ago, Payt's been feeling these weird symptoms so we decided to go to the doctor. We found out she had breast cancer, but it was wasn't so bad. A few months went by and it got more aggressive than planned. Now... she is in intensive care," says Zachary.

I felt my heart sink. That's not a way to live life. A monster known as cancer. It's evil. It's horrible.

"No... th-this isn't right," says Kennedy.

Kennedy starts shaking in her chair and I pull her into my lap, rubbing her back as tears cascade down her cheeks.

"I'm going to be fine Kennedy, that's what you need to understand," says Payton.
"Are you wearing a wig?" asks Kennedy.
"Y-yes honey. I am," says Payton.

Kennedy's face buries into my neck as she cries some more. I hold her tighter. It'd hurt to find my mother, after heaps of years, living with cancer and having to stay in a medical place. I try to shush Kennedy nicely to stop crying but all she does is cry.

"Babe, come on. Deep breaths," I whisper.

Kennedy shakes her head and keeps her face hidden in my neck. I kiss her neck and find her still wearing my necklace. Not being able to fight a smile, it shows up.

"Kennedy, baby your mum will be fine okay?" I assure her.

Although maybe I'm wrong. Who knows?

Kennedy takes a few deep breaths and stays seated in my lap as Payton speaks.

"Kennedy, even if I do leave, you're obviously in good hands! Luke seems to be a wonderful guy," says Payton.

There goes my heart: shattered. I've hurt Kennedy so much, that she'll never take me back. She might not even want to see me after this.

Kennedy POV

Luke is a great guy. But what he did wasn't something great guys do.

"Mom?" I call.
"Yes beautiful?"
"Remember you used to tell me that just because someone good does something bad once, doesn't mean they're bad people?"

Payton smiles warmly, obviously remembering. "I remember."

I look up at Luke who raises and eyebrow, confused.

I think I'll forgive Luke, only if he gives me that explanation.

***

It's been a few hours, I'm hanging out with the 1D and 5SOS boys at the studio. It's kind of their hangout while being in Australia. I think it's pretty cool.

Learning that my mom is living with cancer hurts, sucks the life out of me. But I know she's going at it strong, she's a youthful beautiful woman. In fact, I decided to tell the guys about my meeting with her. And the history of us. Now, we're just laughing about. Luke and I are a little distant, but I'm sitting next to Alli.

Bzz... Bzz...

I look at my bag to see it moving. My phone's ringing. I check the Caller ID: Zachary Williams. I wonder what's going on?

"I gotta take this, excuse me guys," I say.
"Go on ahead love," says Harry.

I walk out to the corridor and slide the screen to answer.

"Hello?"
"K-Kenn?"
"Hi Zachary, what's up?"
"Kennedy... your mother..."
"W-what's wrong?"
"She... uh... she died."
"...What?!"
"I know she seemed fine earlier, but she just became so weak..."
"No... no you're lying. This is a joke!"
"I'm sorry sweetheart."
"As my grandma would say -"
"She crossed her finish line?"
"Yeah... that's it."
"Would you like to come see her?"
"Yeah, I'll leave soon."
"Alright. See you soon Kennedy."
"Bye... dad."

Dad, I called him dad. I don't know why. But I did. Finally everything sinks in. My mom died, she's gone. No longer living. Her smile can't be seen, her laugh can't be heard. Her words won't be processed. It's all gone. Gone. Dead.

**

That's where I am now. When you cross a finish line, it's a good thing... right? Then why do I feel so defeated?

I watch as the doctors take my mom's body away, Zachary and Tara talking, me in my father's arms as Trinity sits quietly, fiddling with her fingers. How awkward this must be for her.

"Kenn?" I hear my little sister call.
"Yeah?" I say after sniffling.
"Did she deserve to die?"
"She deserved to be happy Trin, and if that meant dying, then maybe."
"Did she love you as much as mom does?"
"I like to think so."

Zachary hears our conversation and speaks up.

"Everyday she'd pray that you were doing alright. That all of you were. Our daughter... is named Vanessa Kennedy," he says.
"Really?" I ask.
"Yes. She's loved the name, and you of course," says Zachary.

***

Home, sweet home. It's almost midnight and my family is fast asleep. I'm on my laptop, doing absolutely nothing. I stare at my mom's Facebook profile. There are pictures of her and Vanessa. Vanessa is about 7 or 8 years old. She has Zachary's curly hair, but Payton's eyes, just darker. Her smile reminds me of my grandfather's, sweet and confident. I'll just come right out and say she's beautiful.

I check the time: 3 am. I guess it's time to sleep.

Luke POV

"Babe I'm home," I shout. I drop my guitar case with my slippery hand on the wooden floor. Great.

"Babe? What was that?" I hear her voice.
"Just dropped my case that's all," I say.

I hear footsteps coming down from the hallway. I find myself opening up the oven to see some pizza, obviously homemade.

"I see you found the dinner," says Kennedy. She's holding a beautiful little toddler.

"Indeed I did. Is this pepperoni?"
"You're favorite."
"Now I know why I married you."

I take a slice as the doorbell rings, Kennedy stands up and hands me the child, our child.

"Hi baby, miss me?" I whisper, holding her tiny hand. She has my eyes, and the lightest brown hair ever.

I hear a loud BANG. And I panic. My own daughter's in my hand, and I run to the front door to see my wife laying on the ground with blood spreading through her shirt. Shit.

"Kenn, Kenn," I call her name as I set my daughter down on the ground against the wall and hold Kennedy in my arms.

"Luuuke..." she whispers.
"Stay with me, please. We're gonna get you some help. Stay awake okay?" I command.

I grab my phone and call 000. It rings twice and I'm connected to an ambulance call taker.

"What's the emergency sir?"
"My wife's been shot."
"Location?"
"Sydney, Australia."
"Did you see who shot her?"
"No sir."
"We'll send ambulances there now."

***

"5 Seconds of Summer Wife, Kennedy Hemmings is shot at her and Luke's suburban home in Western Sydney, Australia. More news in 10 minutes."

"Why?!" I shout.
"Kennedy, don't go."
"Kennedy please."

***

"Luke?"
"Luke?"
"Kenn?"
"Luke?"

I wake up abruptly to 3 of my best friends shaking me awake.

"Mate you alright?" asks Michael.
"Y-yeah, I guess," I say.
"You were screaming Kennedy's name, and why. What's wrong?" asks Ashton.
"Had a weird dream about her being shot..." I say.
"What do you think that means?" asks Ashton.
"Could be anything," says Calum.
"I have to make sure Kennedy is okay," I say, getting out of bed.
"Luke! Its 4 in the morning!" shouts Calum.
"I don't care."

I get somewhat dressed and dart out the door to see blackness. The Australian sun hasn't come out yet, great.

"Luke where are you going?!" shouts Michael.
"To find Kennedy," I say.
"She's probably asleep! Luke you're being ridiculous," says Calum.
"I need to know if she's okay!" I shout.
"Then we're coming with you," says Ashton.
"Thanks guys, let's get going."

Soon we're at Kennedy's townhouse but her front door is already wide open. The lights are out, and I walk in, not really caring if the guys are behind me or not. I flip light switches as I walk through her house.

The most horrid scene I've ever seen, something I wish had never happened. I can't un-see it. It's happening, and I can't stop it. Why? Because there's a gun pointing at me.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Omg dont hurt Luke :( sooo like how do you like cliffhangers? ;) of course you hate me :* oh and just a note, i do know how unfortunate cancer and sickness is :( ive lost 2 family members and had many diagnosed and it sucks. Really. Anyway... i hope you all liked this :) please share this and vote cuz its my first time! :)