"Wow!" I ducked quickly.

"Mayday! Mayday! We're going down! I repeat we are going down!" the little boy yelled and ran towards me, holding the remote controller tightly with his hands.

"Captain the tower isn't responding and we have a failing engine!" I raced with him to the kitchen.

"This is it Angy, this is the end. It was good knowing you, pal."

"Aww, can't we use some Hollywood magic to survive the crash? We could fall into a swimming pool on a penthouse!"

"That's lame and unrealistic," the little boy frowned.

"Yeah you're right," I agreed, "Well back to reality then, happy birthday!"

I brought him into a hug and kissed his cheeks.

"Angy nooooo," he tried to break free while giggling, "I'm too old for kisses."

"Too old? You're only thirteen!"

"Yeah a teen."

His comment made me chuckle, a teenager! I can't believe it has been thirteen years since---

Just then a tall woman came into the kitchen, her thin figure barely covered the door frame. I think the first thing you'd notice is her green eyes and her short blonde hair that reached her shoulders.

"How dare you start the birthday without me?" she chuckled.

"No birthday without you Claire," I smiled as I unboxed the cake.

"And presents," Nathan mumbled.

"Hey!" Claire chuckled.

"Oh! Go grab yours from my car. I think you'll like," I said.

"On it."

And with that he ran out of the kitchen.

"My son prefers gifts over me!" Claire puffed and shook her head, "Is that the cake? Let me see it."

She stood beside me and smiled proudly to herself, "He'll love it!"

I checked my phone and nodded my head, I'll read the email later.

"So how was your day?" Claire asked.

"Tiring but we won the case," I said as I took off my high heels.

"It's a case of murder," Nathan declared as he re-entered the kitchen.

"What makes you think that, detective?" I asked.

"I can't say anything at the current moment until I have enough evidence."

"You bought him a detective set, didn't you?" Claire looked at me.

"He likes it."

Claire smiled at her little boy, he is really growing faster than we expected.

"I'm gonna take a quick shower before cutting the cake," I told her.

I made my way to the wide, curved flight of stairs and passed both Claire's and Nathan's bedrooms before reaching mine. I'm so glad I've agreed to move in with Claire and her son, their presence fills up the empty house when it gets lonely.

It was hard at first, we lived in small apartments because we were barely able to pay rent and things were tougher (and less affordable) with a baby. I remember the many times Claire told me she wanted to drop out of college and get a full time job but I couldn't let her do this, I knew she won't be able to give Nate the luxurious life she wants him to have with the salary of a waitress. He was seven when I moved in with them, I remember in details Claire's phone call that night and how hard she was crying, I remember when she asked me to move to Cali and stay with her and Nate. It was a hard decision to make since I was a new graduate and after living seven years in Britain, I was planning to make a name for myself there but I promised Claire I would help her. And with that I packed my things and flew to California.