10. Welcome to the Family

Start from the beginning

"He's playing drums in this band of his that's why he comes home late," Mama talked about Miguel while we were in the middle of our afternoon snack.

"In a band or not, he musn't forget that he's your son and he's to come home before dark.." I said, getting annoyed of my little brother. He knew Mama's condition yet he was acting like he didn't care. "I'm gonna talk to him when he gets home. Where is he anyway?"

"He grabbed Juancho's bike and left. But let us not worry about him," Mama said, sipping her coffee. "I wanna hear about you, neneng. When will you finish college?"

"This coming July, Mama. We've been doing practicums in different facilities for old folks, sick people and orphans. If I get good credentials and certificates, there's a possibility I might work in one in the future." Then, I took a bite of the delicious pastry.

"You're Papa will be so happy to hear that. We are so proud of you!" Mama said with happy tears.

Just then, Miguel came rushing in. "Wow! Croissants!" He went to give us hugs and kisses.

"Where have you been, Totoy? And what is this Mama's saying you often come home late?" I stood up, putting my hands on my hips.

"Gee, it's nice to see you too, ate." It was apparent that Miguel didn't like me acting like our mother. "I just went around and there's no school so you've got nothing to be mad about!"

"Miguel, don't talk like that to your sister..."

We heard voices approaching. "Great now you brought your friends here!"

"Calm down, they're more like yours. Not mine."

"Look it's Emilia!" Duff's voice echoed through the kitchen.

"Is that her older sister?" Axl asked.

"It's her mother, dumbshit!" Steven shouted.

There was a little arguing, at least Izzy was quiet. Saul stopped them by saying, "Mind your manners! We're not in our den!"

I slapped my forehead and gave my mother an apologetic smile. Mama, being kind and hospitable as usual, invited them to join us for a snack.

"Found the guys in the park and Steven here taught me some cool skateboarding stunts." Miguel told me excitedly.

I looked at the boys and simpered.

Steven and Saul hugged Mama while the rest shook hands and introduced themselves to her.

"Hello, Emilia's Mom! I'm Duff!"

"It's a pleasure to meet you, ma'am! I'm Axl Rose and this is Izzy!" Izzy just smiled and nodded his head as a polite gesture.

"It's my pleasure to meet you all as well! I hope I'll be able to remember all your names!" Mama liked their courteousness.

Mama insisted the boys to stay for dinner. I wanted to hesitate, I suggested to do the cooking instead but she declined.

"I'm not that sick Emilia. I can still do most things by myself." Mama told me. "Now go catch up with your friends. They're all very nice you know?"

The boys acted very likable and seemed to get on Mama's good side but it would be another story if Papa was around. I almost forgot about their bad habits when I saw them interact with my mother and little brother.

I heard them inside Miguel's room, messing around with his drum kit and electric guitar. Our baby brother would always tell me how he wanted to be a rocker like Steven and Saul. He could be anything he wants, my only wish is that he won't do the madness most rockers do, if you know what I mean.